Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Read here how to get .gmax models into Operation Flashpoint!!!  (Read 1181 times)

Bishop

Alright people, ever made a Gmax model and got disappointed because people told you it is imposible to get it into Operation Flashpoint? Well, here is the solution.

Ok, here it goes...

1) Download Tempest for Gmax.
2) Start Tempest and Export your files to .md3 format.
3) Import those .md3 with Milkshape3D.
4) Export them to .3ds format in Milkshape3D.
5) Import them with the program Anim8or.
6) Once you started Anim8or go to objects\import and import the .3ds file.
7) Then go to options/Debug/Dummy 3DS KDATA, thick that option on.
8) Then go to Object/export and export your file to a new .3ds file.
9) Import it into Oxygen and start editing!

It works! And I did it myself.

I think it's quite a revolution because people kept saying that .gmax can't be imported into Operation Flashpoint.

All the programs named in here can be downloaded for free. Just use your search-engine if you can't find their homepages to download it dirrectly from.

To the Administrators: I think it's wise to make such a tread as this sticky as many people would like to know how to import .gmax into Operation Flashpoint.[/i]

-Bishop

P.S: Don't forget to start Tempest and not the ordinary Gmax, or it will not work! You can find Tempest in: ...\Gmax\gamepacks\Tempest\ folder. Just click on the shortcut there.

junkie-xL

hmm, when you do it this way: does the model have its textures in the right place in oxygen?

I managed to do this in another (even faster) way, but textures normally get screwed  :'(
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2002, 19:00:00 by junkie-xL »

Bishop

You have to re-insert the textures, but it's easyer as all compenents will be seperate to select.

-Bishop

ncpiment

you guys just get a pluging for gmax that you can import/export .3ds and then import the model in O2 and that is it.

Makabi

is there such a plugin?

ncpiment

yes but i cant find it now i bin looking for it again but can t find it. look for it in google.com maybe you will find it but i will try to get it any way.

Vixer

there is also a way of importing a 3DS model with the textures without messing them up. i dont know how exacly but i do know its posible

armur

gmax[]>3dexploration1.81>O2
gmax>milkshape>3dexploration1.81>O2

MJHergenroder

Problem is Milkshape needed to convert Quake format to 3ds, but Milkshape 3D as some others (Lightwave) do not support 3ds's KDSdata.  You need intermediate program like Anim8or, 3dExploration, or QuakeModelEditor(QME) that reads non-kds 3ds but writes 3ds with kds data.  Anim8or is freeware but sounds like it has texture exportation problem.  3dExploration is like expensive but demo is fully functional for 30 days.  QME is freeware but the guy who wrote it no longer maintains a web site, so good luck finding it.  If you need a copy I will e-mail it to you or upload it.  It's < 200kb.  One other alternative might be blender w/the proper plugins.

P.S.  On exporting textures, I have heard you need to do a planar mapping, but cylindrical mapping also works (KEGs told me himself).  Spherical mapping might work.