Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Urban island (w/ screenies) in production  (Read 4487 times)

McDoom

Urban island (w/ screenies) in production
« on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:28:57 »
Here comes some pics of my urban island. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated, however I have 2 particular problems that need addressing:

(1) I wanted the island to be fertile for urban development, but made it too damn flat. The tide comes up the flat beach and there's no shelf wherein to plant a dock area. I don't know how to rectify the situation without screwing up the rest of the map and starting over (NO!!!!)

(2) I haven't bothered yet how to config/package the damn thing, so I'm using (intro) island for now, but would eventually like to package it as its own thang and restore the Desert Island to its former lack of glory!

thanks and i hope you like it much MUCH more than i enjoy hunching over my keyboard and mistyping coordinates over and over and over and...

anyway, here's the first one:
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2002, 18:30:19 by McDoom »

McDoom

Re:Urban island (w/ screenies) in production
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:30:54 »
sorry, here it is:

McDoom

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:31:31 »
another random street-level pic:

McDoom

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:33:36 »
a crappy chopper shot showing how the stormy weather i selected doesn't do the true scope of my progress so far, but suffice to say its coming along nicely and its big enough to goof around with finally... um, here it is:

McDoom

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:35:43 »
another intersection or whatever. honestly, i just ran around my big dilapidated city and shot screenies. it all looks pretty good and so far uniformly devastated. this is to be the downtown area. it will fade out into suburbs and drought-ridden farms and (if i can alter my terrain somehow) docks (Grrr!!!) and soo on.

McDoom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:39:27 »
ok, so time to vent a little beef and dole out another screen.  my beef is this: by and large the Resistance buildings are urban enough but too damn unbombarded and whatnot, and the original buildings are perfectly blownout and craped up but are almost entirely residential.  it is infuriating.  so here you go:

McDoom

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2002, 18:42:12 »
ok, last one. another street-level shot on account of what a terrible chopper pilot i am, hehe.
 no i just like the look of it all up close.  there's a lot of details i plan to add it later, like the scaffolding stuff from Resistance, fountains, more streetlights, street signs, etc. etc.  i might make a non-Resistance-friendly version someday too, but i wouldn't count on it. here's another shot of nothing in particular:

Leone

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2002, 20:01:52 »
Looking good  ;D ;D Can you put up a WRPEdit shot of the whole island, so we can get an overview. Cheers!

Raiden

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2002, 22:00:26 »
M8 its looking great  :D , no i have a question to ask, as i was looking at the pics i saw the screen name, its mog, i was wondering if you were basing the map on mogadishu or just a coincidence????   ANYWAY NICE MAP M8 ;)
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2002, 22:04:15 by Raiden »

McDoom

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2002, 22:26:31 »
Originally I was going to try and recreate Mogadishu from maps and any info I could find on the internet, watching BHD a 1,000 times, etc. but I settled for " generic, wartorn city".

I have some editor screenies for you, some with notations.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(Note: I know the road system is blocky and composed of nothing but evenly spaced right angles; that's the only way to try and knock this out in quick time, I'll cut in and make some more complex roadworks later, time permitting).

McDoom

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2002, 22:28:03 »
(remember... work in progress)

Raiden

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2002, 22:29:48 »
its a great map with a great city, are you ging to put anything on the other island to the southeast. i think you should make a large airfield with a army base to the north of it named. FORT RAIDEN lol but i think you should put a airfiled and a training area, like with phaedens island with the metal walls that collapse.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2002, 22:31:52 by Raiden »

McDoom

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2002, 22:38:37 »
I may end up redesigning the island from scratch, because I know I made it too small for the daunting size of the urban areas.  But I'm using mathematic shortcuts to more quickly and easily place roads, city blocks, etc. so it shouldn't take me too long. If I knew how to raise up the area between the two islands I could make the whole thing much bigger, but unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that efficiently in WRPEdit.  If anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2002, 00:05:05 »
Just select the area you wish to raise by holding Shift-Ctrl and drawing a red rectangle round the area.

Then choose the Up/Down tool and raise the whole area by the desired amount.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

PFC_Mike

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2002, 00:57:45 »
Perhaps someone with modeling skills and access to textures will make some new war torn buildings? hint hint