Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Project : UK Forces  (Read 54948 times)

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
Re:Project : UK Forces
« Reply #255 on: 27 Jan 2003, 20:58:01 »
My last post on the subject of mortars and using your body as a baseplate.

Here is a picture of a 51mm in use. Attached is a blowup of the base of the barrel.

Please note - the baseplate is underground. This is normal when firing a 51mm Mortar. The ground looks very hard. You look for firm ground when siting a 51mm Mortar.

This characturistic of mortars follows Newton's 3rd law "For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction". In this case the force required to launch a mortar round from the barrel and to the top of its trajectory must be dissipated through the baseplate. There is no buffering of the 'recoil', and the kinetic energy produced far exceeds that of a 30mm grenade being launched from a M203 or rifle propelled grenade.

So there you have photgraphic evidence of my point.

Offline woofer

• Members
« Reply #256 on: 27 Jan 2003, 21:03:58 »
Also attached is a picture of me so that you can take up the debate with me in person should you see me in the street... [edit] that is a joke and not an offer for a fight [/edit]

But I don't think we should bore everyone else with it any longer :P

Clansman radios in use in an infantry platoon:
PRC349 - Section (Squad) leaders and 2nd in command
PRC350 - Platoon Second in command
PRC351 - Platoon Radio operator

While I haven't heard of a PRC319 I accept that they might exist. Here's a link to more info
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2003, 21:09:35 by woofer »

Mr_Shady

« Reply #257 on: 28 Jan 2003, 00:29:52 »
My God Woofer, you are one mean-looking bloke... ehm... fancy a promotion?  :-\

Offline Cplme

• Former Staff
« Reply #258 on: 28 Jan 2003, 00:48:35 »
I am trained on the 349, 350, 351 also 320 one old bitch that 320..

OFF-TOPIC

please dont point that gimpy at me  ;D dont fancy 1000 rounds or so comming my way...  

DeLiltMon

« Reply #259 on: 28 Jan 2003, 12:01:32 »
Cool pic, there's nothing like an MG to settle an arguement :D
You should have a Woofer unit for use with the RSF  ;D

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #260 on: 28 Jan 2003, 13:01:24 »
A 50. cal would had have readers hanging themselves.

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #261 on: 28 Jan 2003, 20:06:24 »
I see your making the Diemaco series rifles for the SAS. Are you gonna do the SAS with the G36 series aswell?  
You asked for some evidence that the SAS were using them, well I've found two links on the "faults" of the SA80A2, which make refrences to the G36 being used by the SAS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2002%2F07%2F26%2Fnrifle26.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2002%2F07%2F07%2Fnrifle07.xml

Offline woofer

• Members
« Reply #262 on: 28 Jan 2003, 20:39:47 »
God it takes a post like that to realise how ugly I am.   :-\
No I don't want promotion  :noo:

Woofer unit ?? this switchmove "staggerrounddrunk"  ;D

Btw the silver ammo = Drill Ammo = inert for a publicity photo - wouldn't let anyone in front of a live / loaded MG.

Can't beat a 320 in one ear (why do you always get voice of bagdad?) and 351 in the other over the splitter box... we used to 'borrow' the youngest guys watch and alter it to show he had another hour of radio watch...

Back on topic - Wellcome back BIBMI.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2003, 20:41:42 by woofer »

greatunclebulgaria

« Reply #263 on: 28 Jan 2003, 22:25:14 »
I'll just sit in the corner and make sheep noises then!

Bah bah bah.

:-[

no hard feelings, thanks for putting me right on that,

:cheers:

I had been trying to make a 2in mortar within the confines of ofp. Just goes to show U shouldnt believe everything U read.

::)

I am now much more about mortars than i did before. And thats what this bb is all about init.

next time i pick a fight with somewone ill make sure he doesnt have a gimpy stashed away somewhere!!!

:gunman:

good luck with the uk forces ill be waiting  ;D

Raven

« Reply #264 on: 29 Jan 2003, 00:00:46 »

good luck with the uk forces ill be waiting  ;D

On the subject of waiting, any news on a release date's, I know Bibmi has been away, but I just thought i'd ask  ;D

Offline woofer

• Members
« Reply #265 on: 29 Jan 2003, 00:38:26 »
Never mind looking at my ugly mug,

Check out The UK Forces Web Page for updates - these guys are updating like there's no tomorrow...

The 4 Tonner is beginning to look depressingly familiar...

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #266 on: 29 Jan 2003, 18:17:10 »
Also attached is a picture of me so that you can take up the debate with me in person should you see me in the street... [edit] that is a joke and not an offer for a fight [/edit]

But I don't think we should bore everyone else with it any longer :P

Clansman radios in use in an infantry platoon:
PRC349 - Section (Squad) leaders and 2nd in command
PRC350 - Platoon Second in command
PRC351 - Platoon Radio operator

While I haven't heard of a PRC319 I accept that they might exist. Here's a link to more info

I think the PRC319 was mainly uset by special forces like SBS or SAS. They're probably outdated by now, since the book I found the info about them in is from 1996.
In memory of Police Chief Inspector Arne Sigve Klungland 1950 - 2004
Killed in the line of duty 5. April 2004

Check out the new Norwegian Forces Studio's temporary site at: http://marsuitor.tripod.com/mmb/

DeLiltMon

« Reply #267 on: 29 Jan 2003, 18:19:20 »
If I remember rightly their mentioned in the Bravo Two Zero book, but it's been a long time since I read that.

*Edit*
Here we go from http://www.pmulcahy.com/radios_and_communications_equipment.html:
UK/PRC319 Secure Manpack Radio: This radio is primarily used by special operations units in Britain, the US, Australia, and New Zealand. It may transmit in both the HF and VHF bands, up to frequencies used by aircraft. Included is an Electronic Message Unit; this is a small alphanumeric keyboard that allows transmission of written words when any voice transmission would be dangerous, as well as data, coordinates, and direct communication with fire control computers and fire direction computers. The UK/PRC319 is also a burst transmitter, able to store messages for up to 500 hours before automatically transmitting them at a high rate of speed. The radio may be operated by remote control up to 50 meters away, and the radio may be used with Vertical Satellite Beamer (see below). The burst transmission feature allows considerable security, and to increase security, a scrambler/descrambler may be added. Short range without the satellite transmission gear is 5 km with a short rod antenna and 50 km with a whip. Weight: 10 kg; Price: $21,000 (R/-)
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2003, 18:23:21 by DeLiltMon »

Mr_Shady

« Reply #268 on: 29 Jan 2003, 22:47:02 »
Bravo Two Zero did indeed use the 319. Nice bit of kit, I've heard. Just helps if the scaleys give you the right frequencies, I guess  ::)

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #269 on: 29 Jan 2003, 23:00:37 »
I feel that my two (not including theone on the 50.) previous posts above have been eclipsed, by mortors and radios. Could you look back on at them and see what you think of the please. They were on the Walther P99 and G36.