Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Building some new weapons, have a question concernig models  (Read 1126 times)

Forest

Ok I have been working on and off for sometime on weapons for OFP modeling them on real-world examples for accuracy, range, and dammage (using Dr. Facklers & Dr. Roberts research).  All these weapons are semi-auto only (no more AI firing in burts). However I have 2 questions:

Question 1
The weapons work fine, but I want to use some other models for the different optics.  

For example I found a great model of the C7A1 that I want to use.  I have pulled out the PD3, PAC, and PAA files (used my own config.cpp) and stuffed it into a PBO but the weapon comes out as a white model (no texture).  What am I doing wrong? (I kept the file names the same - but the weapon name is changed).

Question 2
In my 'AR15 pack' (I've got packs for other weapons). I wanted to define 1 magazine that would work in all the varients (from full length rifle to the carbines).  This would more accuratly reflect the real world.  I declared a 'magazine class' and have all the varients be based on that class.  

Will this work?  (I haven't got the models working so this I haven't tried yet).  Tomorrow I can supply a copy of the config.cpp if you want to look at it.

Thanks for any tips or help you can offer.

Offline DaCoroner

• Members
Re:Building some new weapons, have a question concernig models
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2002, 07:26:31 »
Ok, I'll take a shot at these...

Answer 1
The path name for the textures defined inside the p3d file is incorrect for your new pbo filename.  This is easy to fix in any number of ways, with O2, with the texture swapper utility (available here at OFPEC) or with a hex editor.  See any of the texturing tutorials for detailed instructions (also available here at OFPEC).

Answer 2
Yes it will work, the M16 and M16/203 in OFP use the same magazine for example.  It's very easy to do, you can use the stock M16 or AK74 and their grenade launcher counterparts for a quick example.

Hope that helps, good luck :)
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2002, 07:28:04 by DaCoroner »

Forest

« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2002, 16:09:17 »
Thank you! That was helpful.  I looked at the PD3 files with my Hex Editor (FYI I use UltraEdit here at work) and saw the file name/dir you mentioned.  I'll look for that editor and use it.

Thanks for the info on the magazines - that means I am on the right track and won't have to do a major re-write.

Offline DaCoroner

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2002, 18:22:20 »
You can use the hex editor to fix the p3d file, in this case I think it's actually easier, just search and replace :)

For BIS models search for data\ and replace with yourpboname\ make sure the search isn't case sensitive as BIS uses both "Data" and "data" in their models.  Also, you don't have to worry about the character length names as long as your hex editor inserts the extra characters rather than overwriting you'll be fine.

Glad that helped :)

Forest

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2002, 18:30:16 »
Thanks again!