Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bullet damage  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Bullet damage
« on: 27 Jul 2008, 20:18:50 »
Are there any formulas for the damage of a bullet over a certain distage?

I have to figure out if for example, the M24's bullet (7.62 × 51 mm NATO) has enough energy to knock a man down on 1050 meters.
Same for 5.56 mm bullets (700+ meters).

Does anyone know these bounds of ArmA?
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline ModestNovice

• Members
Re: Bullet damage
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 20:51:36 »
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Event_Handlers

this addEventHandler ["hit", {_this execVM "distest.sqf"}];

distest.sqf
Code: [Select]
_a = _this select 0;
_b = _this select 1;
_c = _this select 2;
_dis = _a distance (getPos _b);

hint format ["Unit: %1 Shooter: %2 \nDammage: %3 \n\nDistance: %4", _a, _b, _c, _dis];

Maybe something like that?

I don't know if the distance command is right, but hopefully you get the idea...

*EDIT: Sorry I meant hit, not killed event handler.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 00:39:32 by DaChevs »
"The road became empty and the people disappeared. The clouds ran away; opened up the sky, and one by one I watched every constellation die."
- Sean "Slug" Daley

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:45:59 »
Alright, that solves it for a bit. At point blank 1.6 damage, at 1100 meters 0.22 damage. So that's a difference right there.

Meaning probably, that a wooden target which is setDammaged to 0 will not fall regardless of the hit. Even headshots won't get the target down as far as I could see or shoot.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:48:40 »
Note that the damages from the hit eventhandler are...kinda relative :D As in: 0.22 damage to the HEAD is likely to be a lot more lethal than 0.22 damage to the arms. Same goes for vehicles: hitting certain parts will destroy the vehicle no matter what, hitting other parts won't. Also I'm not entirely sure if the various resistances are factored into this number (try shooting at a tank and then at a car, and see if the number is any different, and if they lost more or less total health - even better, try with a person and then a tank).

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2008, 14:42:39 »
Thanks for the reply wolfrug. Well, what I'm most interested in is taking down an enemy soldier at great distances. Due to the reduced damage, it is harder. Thing is, I'm doing all this with headshots (versus the targets) and they won't fall from what I think is a headshot.

Offline ModestNovice

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2008, 21:21:04 »
you can do an eventhandler dammaged, and actually find the spot they were hit.  :)
"The road became empty and the people disappeared. The clouds ran away; opened up the sky, and one by one I watched every constellation die."
- Sean "Slug" Daley