Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: BMPXYZ - Still exists  (Read 1048 times)

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
BMPXYZ - Still exists
« on: 31 Oct 2002, 03:01:35 »
Some of you may remember this tool I created and mentioned over at the OfpInternals site.  I sort of forgot to tell everyone about it..

It was todays post about the image-ascii converter that made me think hey I done one like that 4 months ago.

Now I am sorry I forgot about it, even though I regulary use it and have even freinds using it.

I will explain its use and what it does and its upto you if you use it or the other.  The new has some advantages like being able to read more than one file type.

By the way this is the tool I used to create all the elevations for the terrains I have created, which is 8 now (5 so far for Falklands project)

The program is window based and is still effectively a beta, although I dont know how to fix the minor annoyances.

It imports a grayscale image in BMP format only, also of 256 x 256 size.
It will assign height levels by rgb value and this is done in one of two ways depending on how you did the image.

If you have produced an  image based on known rgb values for fixed contour heights then the program can accept the rgb difference and height differance (in feet or metres) and work from that..

If you just produced a map and you know the value for pure white (rgb 255,255,255) and the height for black (rgb 0,0,0) again in either feet or metres, it will convert that too.

The export file is presently a fixed name of temp.--z (advise renaming if you want to keep it).

This file can be imported direct into wrpedit and stores just the heights, so needs wrpedit settings of

Num. Of Coord - 1
Elevat index - 1
Decimal Symbol
Char - .

I have had no problems yet, but remember tides at the moment seem to be upto 5m so land from 0-5m WILL flood (until someone works out how to set the tide heights in the cpp)

The program has effectively NO error correction so if you do somethin you shouldnt with it it will likely crash.  It was written with a specific purpose to solve a problem for me alone but others asked about it so its here

Oh yes the link to the file

http://www.ironfoot.net/~cbfasi/downloads/BMPXYZ.zip

Any problems either contact me thought pm or my email (see readme)
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2002, 03:08:13 by CBFASI »
CBF Shipbuilding