Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Screen Filters Using CutRSC  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Rommel92

• Members
Screen Filters Using CutRSC
« on: 05 Apr 2008, 06:46:39 »
This isn't a question, however the topic title expressions discussion on the topics, so here we go  :).

I currently have some filters I've been trying on general gameplay through the CutRSC command thanks to Suchy for helping me!  :D
I think it can give the game an entirely different feel giving you place the right filters at certain times, and you can fade them in and out of each other if you wish, I might make a mini pack and put it up here, but so far I have a yellow and lightish blue filter, and examples of how they look during different weather scenarios.

Just wanted some feedback and discussion, problems in MP and general gameplay, not sure where this goes for a thread either, but I'm sure h-'ll know  :D.

Oh and just to extend, perhaps fade in the light teal filter when you enter a shady forest, and perhaps out in the desert, a yellowish one etc etc, it looks great ingame, not sure how the pictures display it... or say your mission is a chroline gas spill, instead of puffs of green particles fade in a green filter with fog... looks fantastic.
Just thoughts and ideas and why this hasn't been done before  :D.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2008, 22:38:36 by Rommel92 »

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
Re: Screen Filters Using CutRSC
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2008, 07:45:58 »
hi rommel92
or say your mission is a chroline gas spill, instead of puffs of green particles fade in a green filter with fog... looks fantastic.
cool thought :D
oh and you dont have to repost, just modify your first post.
and  :welcome: to the forums. i live in melb too!
cheers, schuler
Semper Fi

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2008, 07:52:05 »
hi rommel92cool thought :D
oh and you dont have to repost, just modify your first post.
and  :welcome: to the forums. i live in melb too!
cheers, schuler

haha thanks, yeh soz man, I can't seem to get around, my internet connection absolute ****s itself when I post more any of those thumbnail pics, I'll give it a few more shots, but don't worry, I'm not trying to post count wh*re or anything  :P.

I think I have it fixed, thank god for OFPECs great forum! I can actually delete my posts :P, shame I can't delete that magical thread that appeared...
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2008, 07:54:58 by rommel92 »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2008, 13:25:02 »
Right, so when can we expect your first mission?

You might want to make a tutorial of it too, show people how they can make these filters and make a pack of yourself to include in the ED for example. Or of course as examples in the tutorial.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2008, 13:47:03 »
There is a way, but IMO not even worth the effort. Like when you sych the screen of a PDA, as you start a mission you open a dialog with a clickable control (-1,-1)-(2,2), showing a text "please, click the upper left and lower right corners". You get the clicked coords and you know the dimensions of that screen.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2008, 14:27:43 by Mandoble »

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2008, 14:12:52 »
There is a way, but IMO not even worth the effort. Like when you sych the screen of a PDA, as you start a mission you open a dialog with a clickable control (-1,-1)-(2,2), showing a text "please, click the upper left and lower right corners". You get the clicked coords and you know the dimensions of that screen.

???

edit: Psssst.... Mando! http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=31271.0

Anyway, heres the example missions, and to edit, you simple edit the texture and change to the colour of choice, I have two pre-mades in there, Sandy and Teal, and I'll release more that look nice in ArmA as we go along, their duration is 60 seconds, so that users who wish to keep it up can do it easily by making a script of their own, or by asking on here, if you wish to add/remove fadeIn fadeOut features to the filters, you may, all you need is some basic knowledge of the English language and not be scared of scripts.  :)

Its all extremely straight forward, and if there are any severe troubles, I will make a detailed tutorial, but I'll rely on feedback for that.

Note: I have dulled down the exagerrated examples shown above, as they were a little bit excessive, but if the desire is wanted for them, then it can be easily changed by making the colours LIGHTER and/or the alpha channel LIGHTER.

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2008, 22:44:16 by Rommel92 »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2008, 14:27:03 »
haha, sorry, Im getting definitively old ;)

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2008, 08:38:03 »
haha, np Mando  :D.

Anyway, Mando ol' boy, is this topic worthy as a resource, or is there anything I should fill in or not, as thats what it seems it has become  :P.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2008, 09:19:17 »
Sure it is.

Offline D.murphy man

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 07 Apr 2008, 18:18:03 »
This is an excellent idea, iv been trying to edit the PAA. files but have had no success as of yet, i have downloaded BIS TexVeiw but it crashes every time i try to open them. What i wanted to try and do is see if i could get a bit more of a washed out, darker, grittyer sort of filter to use in my Zombie RPG mission to add a bit more of a 'scarier' atmosphere.

Any ideas guys?

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2008, 03:06:17 »
http://www.kegetys.net/dl.php/tools30032007.zip
Install the .PAA plugin for photoshop, and you'll be rockin.  :P

#EDIT: No need to quote the entire previous post you're replying to..     h-
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2008, 10:25:23 by h- »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 09 Apr 2008, 17:07:02 »
Ok, I understand you might try to set this up as a useful resource, and of course, a single cutRsc alone is not going to be enough. Just some ideas, you may setup an array of any number of placements (positions), range, and effect type. something like:
_effects = [[getPos forest1, "green_effect", 1000],[getPos forest2, "green_effect", 500], [getPos deadcity1, "blue_effect", 750]]
And then a script that for the current player checks distance to each reference point and applies the corresponding "visual" effect while the player is within the effect range.

Offline CAS_Daniel

• Members
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2008, 21:30:43 »
This is pretty cool! Just bear in mind it can cut off at the sides when used on a widescreen monitor/triple head.  ;)
Romeo 2.5 UK-based Light Infantry Platoon
forums.romeo25.com/

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2008, 21:35:19 »
-quote removed by Rommel (I'm learning  :clap:!!!)--

Wondering if I increase the size of the width from 1.5 to 5 or even 10, image stretching isn't an issue so...
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2008, 21:37:16 by Rommel92 »

Offline Nexolate

• Members
  • The lurking S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2008, 21:53:43 »
This is pretty cool! Just bear in mind it can cut off at the sides when used on a widescreen monitor/triple head.  ;)

Yeah, I noticed that on my 19" too.
Oh well, still a nice idea, looking forward to some ambience missions with this.
You'll only notice me when it's too late.