Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: localised sounds  (Read 1427 times)

Offline the corinthian

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
localised sounds
« on: 18 Jun 2007, 15:51:26 »
hi

I have a mission which involves an emergency landing of a heli. when the heli is hit I am playing a custom sound using the playsound function.

the problem with this is that the sound plays for everyone even those not inside the chopper.

how can I create a sound that originates from the heli so that those inside can hear it but another player who isn't  inside cannot?

similarly I am simulating an explosion using the visual effect only from gigan scud addon but this has no sound effect. I have cfreated one I wish to use but again I'm using the playsound function and this just plays the sound at the same volume for everyone no matter how far away they are from the explosion. can I attach the sound to the explosion so that it is loudest at th blast origin but then gets quieter the further away you are?

I've had a look at the comref and was wondering if the createsoundsource command is what I need?

can anyone advise please?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: localised sounds
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2007, 17:21:26 »
Use the say command, and have the helicopter say it.
Code: [Select]
myHeli say "boom"
If it is something the pilot is saying, then make it a radio message (sound and text) and use vehicleRadio instead.
urp!

Offline the corinthian

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2007, 20:34:42 »
Thanks , going to give it a try now

Offline the corinthian

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2007, 18:41:24 »
Ok it didnt quite have the effect I hoped for.

There are two instances where Im testing this. One is inside a crashing heli and I have warning buzzers etc playing. If I use playsound then the volume is fine, however when I use the heli say "crash" command then the audio is there but its very quiet. I've changed the dB value in description.ext to +60 but its still barely audible.

The second instance is at a location where I am displaying the visual effect only of the nuke explosion in GIGAN scud mod. Those of you who have used it will no that there are no damage effects but also no audio. Ive sourced a nuclear explosion sound that I want to play when it goes off and again have been using the playsound command. I tried using the SAY command again but this time the explosion was too faint.

I can probably work around the second issue by raising dB and moving the player closer to the explosion but the first issue has me confused. I dont want to just use playsound as it will make every player hear it and not just those in the chopper.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2007, 18:49:51 »
I'm sorry that I don't have help to offer you, but I do have this piece of advice:

Don't double post.
If you have something to add to your post after a short period of time (we'd prefer that about 3 days should pass), modify your post instead of replying to yourself.
When you edit the post the thread will not get bumped up but it still get's the 'New' stamp on it.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:17:13 »
Not tested. But you could create a gamelogic and place it inside the heli, then play the sound from it. Might work if you manage to place it in the cargo space of a heli. Letting the pilot say a sound might not be audible, hopefully this is. Or you could place the gamelogic in one of the cargo / gunner positions of the chopper. You might have a little luck with that.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:36:05 »
You will have to edit the sound and increase its volume. That is the only fix. The db noted in the description.ext is its dynamic volume not its absolute volume and changing its value will have little or no effect.
urp!

Offline the corinthian

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:32:55 »
thanks to all for the help - Ill increase the sound volume in a editor then...

H - sorry about the double-post thing