Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Image layer on screen  (Read 1273 times)

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
Image layer on screen
« on: 22 May 2007, 19:39:06 »
Hi

I have an image I want to appear on screen at the beginning of a map. I know the format of the picture has to be jpg, paa or pac and 2^x X 2^y in size.

I have a 512x512 image with transparency. How would I convert this to paa for transparency in TexView ? I tried opening it as a TGA image and it didn't do anything.

I will then need to add the image in the description.ext, but i'm quite confused about that. (A resource I think?)

So, what do I need to do to get the picture converted and to show in game ?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Image layer on screen
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2007, 20:50:44 »
TexView can convert a TGA with transparency to a paa. Once you have your paa go to the Ed Depot(ED), and look under Tutorials/Sounds,Cutscenes and Custom Resources here. Find and read General Barron's tutorial. Then ask your next question.
urp!

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2007, 21:00:35 »
Hmm the TGA needs to been exported into a certain format I guess.

I can get the image into game now but for some reason TexView won't open my TGA file. I am using Paint Shop Pro 8. My TGA is uncompressed. I only have the option for 8 bit, 16 bit and 24 bit, which I have all tried.

Any idea on what format needs to be used?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2007, 21:26:47 »
Ack. I have only done this once or twice myself  :whistle:
Make sure you are saving your transparency layer in the TGA. The format should be 32 bits, maybe  :whistle:. I remember having a problem because PhotoShop Elements would not save a TGA in this format, so I either used ImageMagick or The Gimp to do it. Not sure about full blown PhotoShop, but I would be surprised if it did not save in all possible formats.
urp!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2007, 21:38:58 »
The tga file must be saved as 24 bit, the alpha channel uses 8 bits making a total of 32 bit, and it must indeed be uncompressed.

Texview should accept that, then you can resave as .paa.

Make sure the dimensions are a power of 2 as mentioned before.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.