Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ok I am lost. Please Help  (Read 1199 times)

Maxplayer14

Ok I am lost. Please Help
« on: 21 Oct 2002, 05:09:52 »
I am just getting into modding, and they way I do things is to teach myself.

I just wanted to know some of the basics.  So I though I would take the g36a.pbo file and take it apart.

So I dePBO the file.  Great works fine.  Then I took the config.bin in the file and changed a few things in it.  Nothing much just like rate of fire, scope distance, and a few minor things.  

I have done two things, saved it as cpp.  Stuffed it.  But when I got to use it in a map it crashes.

Also tried cpp2bin, same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

BlinkDog

Re:Ok I am lost. Please Help
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2002, 06:33:33 »
well from my experience it could have something to do with the p3d filename and the pbo filename. For my Amazon addon the p3d and pbo must be the same. I used to get either a crash or the model would appear with no textures.

Offline DaCoroner

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2002, 09:04:33 »
I would guess it has to do with "a few minor things" that you changed.  *Normally* a filename error will actually pop-up an error dialog when you start OFP or simply result in a non-textured model.  I've found that if it crashes on me once I'm in the map it's probably an invalid value, bad array, etc...

Of course not knowing exactly what "a few minor things" are, and having to assume that you properly changed the rate of fire and scope distance makes it a little difficult to help you solve the problem :)  Post your config.cpp, or at least the changed parts and someone here can give you a better answer.

Also, whenever I'm just playing around with changing values I put the original value at the end of the line in a comment (example: dispersion=0.007000; // 0.000500) that way if a problem does arise I can go back and start reverting the settings until I can isolate the problem.

Hope that helps

Offline ddarz

• Members
  • Gone crazy...be back soon.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2002, 16:50:25 »
Sorry for intruding :-[ but how did you edit the .bin file
I got a AK47 an RPG and a headache... Any questions?

Offline DaCoroner

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2002, 18:56:10 »
Sorry for intruding :-[ but how did you edit the .bin file

Grab OFP Manager from the downloads section of this site :)  Well, you won't actually edit .bin files, but you can convert them back to .cpp files, edit those and then re-bin it  ;)