Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: resize 512 map down to 256 map  (Read 2047 times)

cirkut5732

resize 512 map down to 256 map
« on: 26 Jan 2006, 05:33:43 »
     How would I go about resizing a 512x512 map down to a 256x256 one, and still fit the whole isalnd and hopefully not screw with my elevations?

Thanks

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:resize 512 map down to 256 map
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2006, 15:25:25 »
Isn't this the same question as the topic below this one:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=27097

Which was apparently solved already?

Planck
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2006, 15:25:53 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

cirkut5732

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2006, 23:16:45 »
 that question was for another island (i finally figured out the DEM thing, Mow what I want is the 512 map that you e-mailed me, into a 256 map, vashon island, I am afraid with all the objects i am going to be adding a 512 map may have to much lag when I am done

THanks again!
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2006, 23:17:08 by CirKuT »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2006, 03:17:28 »
The thing is, all the land from a 512 X 512 area will not fit into a 256 X 256 area.

Or do you really mean it will fit if it is centred?

Planck

cirkut5732

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2006, 04:03:57 »
No, The other post of mine was for an island I did myself after I learned the DEM thing, Thanks to you! Basically after I made my island I put it in a 512 map and it coulda fit into a 128 one, and whenever I did it was not centered. This time I was hoping to take the 512x512 vashon island that you sent me and somehow import it into a smaller one, wich as you said is not gonna happen! lol. Do you think alot of objects in this 512 map will cause alot of lag? now when I mean alot of objects I do mean alot! I place my forests as single objects not the regular forest that come in sections, my 128 map has no lag even with ALL the trees (Nature pack addon) roads, signs, dxdll, skypack, etc, etc, etc, But I was thinking in a 512 map this is a horrendous amount of objects. Maybe I will have to split the 512 map in half and so how make a big trigger that will load the player to and from the 2 sections making it seem like a whole islnad, but It would be hard cause If you saw that edge where the map cuts off it would ruin the whole illusion

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2006, 14:40:21 »
Do you think alot of objects in this 512 map will cause alot of lag? now when I mean alot of objects I do mean alot!

Hundreds of single trees will cause more lag than the forest sections.

Lets suppose you make a large forest using 500 trees.......that is 500 separate models.

Lets suppose you make another forest of the same size using 25 forest sections (assuming an average of 20 trees per section)........that is only 25 separate models.

Whilst the first forest maybe looks prettier, I bet it will lag the game once you have covered most of the whole island with trees.

Forest sections will induce some lag also, but not nearly as much as doing it all with single trees.

As for splitting your .wrp in two.....this will not work, you cannot get a mission to span more than one island.
It is either based on islandA or it is based on islandB, it can't be based on both.

Besides, a .wrp file must be square. 256 X 256, 512 X 512, etc etc.
You can import a non-square area into a .wrp file, but the .wrp file itself must cover a square area.

Planck

cirkut5732

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2006, 19:22:50 »
I understand the forst thing but I got a question, K if I make an area of single trees, say 50 trees to make a area, thats 50 objects opf has to read, Now if I take those same 50 trees, make a forest section are you saying ofp will only read that as 1 object and not 50? Doesnt ofp still have to draw all 50 trees even if it is one forest section? And can I take 50 trees and make my own forest setion with say oxygen? Will this decrease my lag?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2006, 19:56:33 »
No....emm

What I was trying to say was, the forest models in the game are single model files.....one object.

They look like many trees, but they are only one model.

The single tree models are also one model and they only look like one tree.

Making an area of forest would take many single trees, but the forest objects can do the job using less models and less lag.

And can I take 50 trees and make my own forest setion with say oxygen?

Just use the default OFP forest models.
You can use single trees if you want but the more you use the more objects your map will contain.

Why do you think BIS came up with the forest models instead of just using single trees?

Planck
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2006, 19:57:07 by Planck »

cirkut5732

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2006, 01:34:23 »
 I understand what you are saying. but can I make my own forest model that looks like a bunch of trees. My thing is I am not using any of the foliage from the original game or resistance. I wanted to use the Nature Pack addons for all my foliage. Like I said my smaller 128x128 map is all single trees and I have no lag but I have a really powerful pc, but I know you are right with the 512 map and lag, Youve helped me enough to where I trust you. So ya can I make my own forest models out of single trees from the Nature packs (with author permission of course!) If not the Nature Packs do come with a few forests but to me its to scattered, that was my one complaint about OFP, dont get me wrong I love the game!!!! but it always looked to bare and empty to me. I guess I just figure if it was released in 2001 when pentium 3's and geforce 2 cards were still in style, then a AMD 64 with a gforce 7800 and 2gb ram would let me put as many objects as I wanted.

Thanks for your time Plank
oh ya, do you know if Allied Assault is gonna have mission editing?
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2006, 01:35:45 by CirKuT »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2006, 14:12:57 »
I would recommend that you look at one of BIS's forest models in Oxygen so you can see how it was done there.

You might then be able to adapt what material you can from the Nature Packs you have towards making your own forest models.

If not the Nature Packs do come with a few forests but to me its to scattered, that was my one complaint about OFP, dont get me wrong I love the game!!!!

You do realise that you can make a forest thicker just by putting more than one forest model in the same location, just offset it a bit from the first.......not sure if there would be much in the way of clipping problems though.

oh ya, do you know if Allied Assault is gonna have mission editing?

You know about as much as I do about Armed Assault, so I can't really add anything here.   ;)

Planck