Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How i can make desert camo textures?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Praxtor

• Members
    • Operflashpoint
How i can make desert camo textures?
« on: 10 Jun 2005, 15:22:22 »
Hello guys!!!
I have one heli with wooland camo textures and i would like change this textures for desert camo textures but i have one basical problem and it if i change one texture of wooland for other of desert, i loose the details of my heli because the textures normally are flat or of other heli and the details do not agree.

Also ihave seem a lot of tutorials but all treat on like changing textures, none of like creating them.

I would like know to make new textures for my addons, can somebody say to me where i can find tutorials about this or can somebody explain to me like i can find it?

Regards Guys!!!!

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2005, 15:22:56 by Praxtor »

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
Re:How i can make desert camo textures?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2005, 22:04:32 »
hmmm, that's kinda hard...
first of all: your textures - did you simply make them out of photos or did you paint them pixel by pixel?

if you painted them it would be of unvaluable advantage if you have saved them as a layer-based format like .psd (photoshop) or .cpt (photopaint) and from there exported them into .tga. if you have a layer with your camo in the psd file it's quite easy to replace the original camo pattern and add another one.

ok... i assume the worst now in thinking you didn't paint every light n shadow yourself but made it all out of photos. ;) and i assume that you have a programe that supports layers like photoshop, photopaint, gimp or paintshop pro (in any case:   ?(yourprogramme == ms-paint) : goto "exit"  ;D ).
you CAN add another camo pattern, BUT you have to remove the old one without loosing all the light and shadow of the old one, so this requires a lot of image editing. i would lower the saturation of the area the camo pattern shall be added to first. a result would be a black and white area. now you have to delete the light/shadow differences that are caused by the different base colours of the camo pattern... do not remove the light/shadow that are caused by 3d effects like scratches in the metal, recesses, etc. that will be the most difficult part. if you've done that add a layer (yes... work with layers from now on!!!) containing the new camo pattern, but only to the area that you distracted the saturation before.  choose 'multipy' or ' image overlay' or something similar for how the layer shall appear before it's background. fiddle about with the brightness/saturation/contrast, etc of the camo layer to fit the right colors.
do not merge the layer with the background but save it as psd ot cpt or whatever (a layer based format anyway) and export the image to .tga. then it should be pretty easy to convert it to pac or paa (use feersum.endjinn's paatool, not texview).
pheeew.... that's all i can reply to such a general question :)

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2005, 22:08:35 by remcen »
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD