Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Resistance Vs Non-Resistance PBO  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Peter_Bullet

• Members
  • "The evil that men do lives on and on"
Resistance Vs Non-Resistance PBO
« on: 27 May 2005, 08:48:02 »
This also could be on the mission editing section.

What do Resistance PBOs and the other PBOs have in different apart from their format(Resistance won't UnPbo without the decryptor)

Ex. are they different sized, does the other one function more effectively? I'd like to know.

bdfy1

Re:Resistance Vs Non-Resistance PBO
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 10:54:55 »
there're dozens of pbo's that you can't depack with _old_ depackers ( I can't even remember its names - I used nothing  except UnPbo ( pbo decryptor ) for ages.  AFAIK it's because of compression.
Nevertheless BIS pbo's are a little different - for example WinPbo won't depack them correctly due to some specific reasons ( I don't know details )
There're also encrypted pbo - they can be depacked only after some hex tricks - I'd like to know how(with what utility) they are packed;)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 19:16:56 »
I don't understand, I am able to unpack all BIS pbo's, including O.pbo,  using Amalfis Decrypter 1.5......no problems.

Planck

I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

bdfy1

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 20:49:37 »
 Planck
It's all right :Amalfis Decrypter 1.5 is up-to-date utility;)

Offline Peter_Bullet

• Members
  • "The evil that men do lives on and on"
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 08:19:34 »
NONONONO! I meant amalfis decrypter when I wrote "decryptor". Some resistance PBOs aren't compressed but they only unpack with pbo decryptor, not PBO tool... I know how to open these.

But is the res-pbo more effective (optimized) than the old one...?

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2005, 01:17:29 »
>But is the res-pbo more effective

nope. It's less efficient.

the only difference between res and non res is that resistance pbo's have 'signature' entries put in them at beginning of file defining the "product = resistance pbo' !!!!

There are, occaisionally, minor differences in the last header of the file as well (a difference signature) instead of being the classical empty null, it contains the compressed signature to indicate that some/many/all of the preceding 'files' are compressed.

Encryption as such has nothing to do with 'resistance pbo's'. Some files, notably config.cpp and descritpion.ext are sometimes 'encrypted' . 1985/ Resistance, take your pick it makes no difference.

Winpbo makes a mess of these, wheras amalfi's 1.5 does everything required for ALL pbos, addons included, except occaisonally gives a misleading and wrong checksum error which can be safely ignored.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Ding

• Contributing Member
  • Jurassic Park
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2005, 09:07:15 »
I always thought that the Resistance PBo worked with flahspoint resistance while the regular one works with all of them including VBS1
"If I remain lost and die on a cross, atleast I wasn't born in a manger"