Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Comanche  (Read 4268 times)

US-Marine

Re:Comanche
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2005, 23:33:15 »
And here the finished model

US-Marine

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2005, 15:59:48 »
the cockpit :)

US-Marine

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2005, 16:01:46 »
Another one , Pilot and Gunner have different cockpits ;)

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
  • Keep your friends close but your enemies closer
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2005, 12:36:32 »
...wow...
good job there...
 :thumbsup:

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2005, 00:21:49 »
Nice model!  

I was wondering, though, if you could explain to me the differences between this comanche and the latest one?  The only thing I can really detect from the screens of your model is that your engine intakes are square and the bars on your cockpit glass are slightly different.

edit:  and while we're here, I don't know if many of you are old enough to remember this, but I used to play a game called LHX that had an even more different concept of what would become the commanche.  It had a no tail rotor design aswell, but used ducted engine exhaust through some coolers to compensate for torque.  It also had giant wings for some reason.

And the box art from the pc and console versions of this bizarre game showing a couple of more views of the concept (electronic arts doing non-sports simulations??):

note: they took the PC box art away and made it into an add so I'm editting it out.

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2005, 08:56:16 by Max_Power »

US-Marine

« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2005, 17:11:37 »
Well the concept from the Army goes to diffrent constructors. Each of them make a prototyp of their chopper the chopper you shown was from Mc Donnel Douglas and the Comanche was from Boeing Sikorsky , the different is that the Comanche i did is from the first concept from Boeing Sikorsky it  wasn't that square like the finally Comanche.

but i don't know the PC game LHX i am old but don't know it :P
but there is a real chopper of this LHX but it was only a concept , it never excist

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2005, 17:12:57 by US-Marine »

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2005, 11:03:33 »
There is a real LHX helicopter, and it is the comanche.  The Light Helicopter eXperimental project produced the comanche.

Be careful with scale model designs.  The above helecopter didn't exist even as a concept.  It was merely a model made by testors.  A similar thing happened with the F-19 which was what many people thought would be the designation of the F-117.  Testors did an F-19 model, and soon it was the subject of video games and even some news reports.

Here is a quote about that particular kit:

In the 1980s, Hughes and other American aircraft manufacturers investigated concepts for the construction of radar-evading "Stealth" helicopters.  Testors combined many of the ideas then under development -- including a faceted composite exterior, scimitar-shaped blades and a propeller-less tail -- to create this conjectural design

The third and final conceptual Stealth aircraft  that Testors released in the 1980s  (The others were the F-19 Stealth Fighter and the MiG 37B "Ferret"), the "StingBat" was released only once before disappearing from retailer's radar.  Today it is the rarest of Testors' stealth troika.

This model was built from the one and only 1989 issue.

sources:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/STINGBAT%20LHX%20HELICOPTER%20PAGE.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/lhx.htm
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2005, 11:11:22 by Max_Power »

US-Marine

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2005, 13:41:56 »
Well but the Comanche will not go in series because it was cancelt , its too expencive so the comanche will never appear :-\

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2005, 23:14:04 »
Slightly off-topic, but if the American army really wanted to save money, they'd trash all their M1's and Apaches and invest in developing the M60's and A10s.  The former are money pits in comparison to the latter.  The marines get by with their m60s, and the a10 was responsible for more than half of all equipment kills in iraq, or so the argument goes.

Here are some interesting opinions:

http://www.pogo.org/p/defense/do-920706-failures.htm#(a10)

It's a shame about the comanche, though.  That was a cool machine.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2005, 01:28:22 by Max_Power »