Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Crushed  (Read 15181 times)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
(Review Completed) [SP] Crushed
« on: 17 Mar 2005, 23:07:32 »
Hi all,
This is a tank mission with a difference  ;)
It plays on Everon, and you take the role as a M1A1 .50 cal Machine gunner.
The problem is theres not much freedom, as you can only go where the tank you're .50 cal is mounted on to goes.  :P

It requires only two addons, one of which (M1A1 w/ MG) is included in the zip. The other is editorupdate1.02.

Editor update 1.02   http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=2542

Edit: Use either General Barron's or Mikero's Editor Updates.
Also, unless you edit mission.sqm yourself, you will need 88.pbo from Bunker Pack 4.

I used OFP v1.91 with it.

This was my first mission that had a scripted intro aswell  ;D

But I'd like to be able to improve it.

Any suggestions would be great  ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/gregneath/crushed.eden.zip

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with required addons, from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 23:41:37 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
Re:Crushed under our tracks.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2005, 03:44:18 »
The addon .rar file is damaged, is there anywhere else I can get it from? Can't really find it using google.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2005, 03:58:03 »
Ok, I decided to play this mission with a difference.  I have to say I sure was different!  The player's role is an interesting one.  When I came across this addon, I had hoped there would be a mission for it, now there is. :)

I got an error message on start up, it appears I'm missing cbt-crew.  I think this is an addon error, and has nothing to do with the mission.

Intro:
Couldn't see it, as the error caused the mission to skip the intro.

Briefing:
Good enough for me.  I'm not too picky with briefings.

Mission:
We started out, and I soon realized that this addon is difficult to use.  It was difficult aiming the machine gun, especially with the turret moving around.  We clear the first objective, and move past the observation post.  We don't stop to clear it, and leave a few men alive.  We attack Lamentin.  All goes to hell very quick.  Tank fire erupts, and a fierce firefight ensues.  In the end, every other Abrams but mine was destroyed, and all the Soviet tanks were destroyed or disabled.  At the end of the fight, I got this error message:
script: erase.sqs not found
It didn't seem to effect gameplay, so I continued.  I soon found myself the commander of the tank, and my squad leader, I think, was the driver (don't ask me how that happened) ::).  There was no gunner, so it was tedious trying to destroy the counter-attack with the main gun in a fixed position.  I finally accomplished this, however, and the mission ended.

Debriefing:
Score: 13200
Duration: 16 min,
All objectives were accomplished

Kills:
T72
BMP
5 x Officer
3 x RPG Soldier
11 x Machine Gunner
2 x Grenedier
4 x Crew
15 x Soldier

Casualties:
10 casualties.

Comments:
Everything but the erase.sqs script seemed to work.  I wasn't able to view the intro, so you will have to wait for someone else to comment on that.  The mission was fine, but the awkward handling of the M1 machine gun was frustrating at times.  This, however, is not your fault.
The mission name is a little long, it does not fit on my missions list, nor does it fit in the briefing.  You may want to shorten it.

I really liked the idea of the player being the machine gunner! :thumbsup:

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2005, 08:51:17 »
Thanks for the comments!  :)

I thought I took out all the units with erase.sqs in them, but I must have missed one  ::)

I'll look into it and change the missing addons stuff aswell.  ;)
RAAB

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2005, 09:02:10 »
OK, the new version is avalible to download above. The intro should work now, and the last 'eraser.sqs' guy has been deleted.  ;)
RAAB

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2005, 09:31:07 »
Thank you wildebeast!

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2005, 09:44:41 »
Oh my god! Hilarious! The addon has stuffed up, or something. Pressing 'eject' somehow launched the turret off the top ot the abrams into outerspace, with me on it...

Except, by moving the mouse, i can guide the trajectory of the turret...
Now i can fly, like superman!

Offline Wildebeest

• Contributing Member
  • The time the wildebeest ruled the Earth.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2005, 10:53:46 »
Oh my god! Hilarious! The addon has stuffed up, or something. Pressing 'eject' somehow launched the turret off the top ot the abrams into outerspace, with me on it...

Except, by moving the mouse, i can guide the trajectory of the turret...
Now i can fly, like superman!

The same thing happened to me. The cool thing was that you were the "driver" and a loon was the gunner. Moreover I couldn't play the mission at all. When you start you start in the tank, but like I said another guy is gunner. You are standing inside him. The turret of your tank has some errors too. Since you were unable to fire I tried to eject and levitated away.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2005, 10:55:04 by Wildebeest »
Weeee...

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2005, 12:43:42 »
Ah you see, I know where your going wrong now.

Wildebeest, could you delete your post with the abrams link? Its the wrong version. If you use the correct version (the one i gave a link for), then it will work fine.

In the version you gave, you cannot start as gunner. In the one I gave, you can.  ;)
RAAB

Offline Wildebeest

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2005, 13:26:55 »
Aight, sorry. Didn't think of that. But the effect of the wrong addon was kinda cool anyways :)
Weeee...

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2005, 13:52:47 »
Yeah, I might even get the old version and try it.  ;D
RAAB

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2005, 00:38:42 »
Twas ;D Sorry to go so off topic, greg, but i have to mention this:

Movement in the flying turret:
Prone: You can guide the flying turret in the direction you face; you travel at the same speed as a tank. You can also fly up/down by looking
Standing up: You gain altitude quickly, but don't move forward much. Good for when ground troops start trying to shoot you down
Kneeling: You rise but more slowly, this is the best method for accurate shooting. Plus, of course, you have the machine gunner.

If you touch the ground, you 'stick' to it. Standing up now allows you to walk round normally, pick up weapons, etc. To re-launch yourself into the air, grab an rpg or law launcher, and select it. Voila! Airborne again.

Anyway, sorry for the OT, i will get the addon and test seriously... :P

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2005, 10:15:49 »
You could make a whole new mission out of this  ;)

The Russian army has developed a top secret floating Machine gun turret. HQ wants you to go in, steal it, and fly it back to base undamaged.

;)
RAAB

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2005, 10:28:17 »
;D ;D ;D

Edit: You know what it put me in mind of? Those drones that the USA gets in C&C Generals, like the Spy and the Repair/Assault drone. You knid of orbit the tank, scanning and elimintating any concealed AT soldiers... :P
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 10:31:39 by Fragorl »

Offline Wildebeest

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2005, 12:11:11 »
I still don't get it. What may allow an addon to fly away like that? It's funny.  ::)
Weeee...