Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Static Objects in motion  (Read 3256 times)

Offline KKB

• Members
Static Objects in motion
« on: 22 Aug 2002, 06:52:30 »

[This Attachment has been Deleted By Routine Maintenance]
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 06:53:08 by KKB »

Kaliyuga

Re:Static Objects in motion
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2002, 09:06:46 »
Looks pretty good there KKB....
can this gate arm of yours withstand a jeep or hummer ramming into it? or better yet, slow down a tank at least a little bit? ;)

Skaven

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2002, 11:57:42 »
That is a great idea KKB, it will be great to be able to use a gate like it should, the missions will look much more real, but tell me something, does it work automatically, it opens to all vehicles ??? it opens to soldiers too  ???

Offline KKB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2002, 12:16:24 »
Thanks for the kind words, guys  ;)

re Kaliyuga: It slows down cars (if they only drive slow into it it will stop them), tanks just smash throu  ;D

re Skaven: Thats the tricky part I'm trying to figure out at the moment.
Opening and closing is possible if you stand near the gate, you'll have a new entry in the action menu. You can also order Soldiers under your command to do it (if they are near the gate).

How AI handles it is rather bizarre.
Foot-Soldiers walk around it wich is what I expect them to do. Vehicles just drive throu it, if you set them to combat mode they drive around it. I tested it with other fence-like objects and found that vehicles don't seem to notice if you place a barriere on the road, they crash.

What I have in mind is some kind of script that lets the vehicle wait in front of the gate if it is closed, if it's open they should go on. I'm studying the command reference for some kind of command thet lets you test for different states of animated objects and let you open and close it with script commands. Haven't found it yet.
If someone knows how to do this, cantact me please  :)

EDIT:
I have found the commands  :)
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 12:29:46 by KKB »

Skaven

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2002, 12:41:05 »
Thanks for the intel KKB   :)
As for the persons that can help you, well try asking Icarus or Tomb is someone cans they can

SFG

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2002, 07:00:10 »
Hey that looks great KKB!

Offline KKB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2002, 12:01:02 »
Thanks  :)

I have released it. The Addon follows the new standard that is discussed at the moment (and will as long as the face count for the lowest detail LOD will not be set under 25 *g*)

Included in the Download (16kb) are 2 demo missions and a readme that explain how to get maximimum use out of it.
You can get it at vgames or ofp-zone.de. It should also be available soon from OFP.info.

Note: I only post the links here because the addon depot isn't online at the moment. If it will be online I won't do it again.

Marksman

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2002, 11:59:17 »
Just wondering exactly how you managed to do this?

Was it thru O2, or is there just new animation commands you can use in Resistance to get things to open/close??

I'm guessing O2

Cheers,

Marksman

Offline KKB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2002, 17:35:39 »
Yes and Yes

The gate is a new model, so O2 was involved.
But it needs Resistance to work since support for animations for static objects was implemented new there.

You can't animate already existing objects since you have to tell the engine exactly which part of the model it has to rotate, and to do so u need O2. The rotation itself is defined in the cpp file.

SFG

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2002, 21:37:58 »
Great work man.. planing on making a tut for us o2 people ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2002, 02:04:42 »
can you also order (using an action command in the editor) to make a unit walk to it and then opne it?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Dirtman

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2002, 02:32:02 »
KKB just test the gate out in Res.....Thank you so much.  It is great add-on and will come in handy.  Keep up the good work.

Offline KKB

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2002, 18:23:43 »
can you also order (using an action command in the editor) to make a unit walk to it and then opne it?

You can place a WP near the gate and put the open command (see readme) in the 'on activation' box i think. But I am pretty much clueless when it comes to mission editing  :-\