Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Light Direction?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Light Direction?
« on: 12 Dec 2004, 04:12:29 »
Is there a way to set the direction of a light, and have it so it comes on automatically during the night?  In other words, it it possible to somehow combine the characteristics of Reflectors and Streetlamps?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Light Direction?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2004, 14:37:15 »
In other words, it it possible to somehow combine the characteristics of Reflectors and Streetlamps?

No.....or at least not to my knowledge.

I have never been able to switch off the light cone from streetlamps, it might be possible, but then again, it might not.

If your streetlamps are inserted in a .wrp file they will come on automatically at dusk and go off again at dawn.

This is simulation streetlamp I am talking about as opposed to simulation fire.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2004, 17:03:54 »
Sorry, my question wasn't very clear.

I was asking if it's possible to set the direction of the light beam on a streetlamp model.  The streetlamp model sets the direction of the light beam down.  I was wondering if I could make the light beam shine horizontal instead of down.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2004, 21:14:11 »
Yes, I understood your question.

Thats why I said .......No.....or at least not to my knowledge.

and also:

I have never been able to switch off the light cone from streetlamps, it might be possible, but then again, it might not.

What I meant was, not only can I not find a way to change the cone direction, but I also can't even switch the cones off.

Planck

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2004, 22:07:10 »
Hmm, the M2 light is more directional.. Hmm..
- Ben
Hmm, long post.. :P
Also, though it might only be in MP, the missionstart command could be used to work out time, and switch light on/off depending on time..
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2004, 22:09:34 by DBR_ONIX »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2004, 22:12:18 »
You had me all excited there DBR....I thought you had found a way to switch the cone off when I saw you had posted a reply.....How dissapointing.    :'(

::)

Planck

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2004, 00:29:41 »
Sorry Planck.  :-[  
I didn't realize that was your answer

Is it possible to use the landvehicles class to define my light, use Reflector for the lights, and still have the light come on by itself during the night?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2004, 00:36:37 »
I don't think you will be able to place the lights successfully in a wrp file if they are landvehicle class.....but I could be wrong there.  However they will not automatically switch off and on at dusk and dawn.

You can't even use an init evevthandler because they won't work for .wrp placed objects.  :(

In my opinion it would look strange anyway having the runway lights with a light cone, but thats just me.   ::)

Planck
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2004, 00:37:06 by Planck »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2004, 00:42:05 »
Yeah, it does look a little wierd for the lights I already have.  But these lights are the ones on the end of the runway, the ones that are green when landing and red when taking off.  I will probably just scrap the idea and go with a single, solid colored light for the end of the runway.

I will keep this thread open a little longer, and see if anyone can think of anything I can do.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2004, 01:50:02 »
Ok, I sort of fixed the problem by simply adding a shield around my red and green lights.  It's not perfect, and not as pretty, but it does get the job done.

Topic Solved