Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Soldier won't move AND different colored surfaces in O2  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Viking

• Members
  • NORSOF
I am finalizing my soldier addon, but suddenly, on final testing, the guy won't move!
He just jogs/runs/gets down/crawls/etc. on the spot. I can't even turn him around.

He works when I load Desert Island but when I load, say, FDF's Eastern Border, he won't move. Although if you aim at the ground and fire your gun on full automatic, the guy tips over and eventually ends up on his feet.
After this he can move around normally.

Just wondering how one would go about fixing this???

In O2, sometimes some surfaces has a different color than the rest of the surfaces on the same side of, for example, a vehicle. In-game this surface has OPPOSITE shadowing than the rest of the vehicle, i.e. when the dun is shining on the surface, it is dark, like the other side of the vehicle.

How does one "change/swap" this surface to make it correct?
VIKING
Modeller/Skinner/Coder
NORFOR

Leone

Re:Soldier won't move AND different colored surfaces in O2
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2004, 06:44:33 »
#1 No idea....not my forte

#2 Recalculate normals! F5 is the shortcut  ;)

Offline Viking

• Members
  • NORSOF
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2004, 10:14:03 »
Thanks man, but I tried the recalculate normals bit, but it doesn't work....

Is there any special technique of texturing to avoid this problem?
VIKING
Modeller/Skinner/Coder
NORFOR

Offline Viking

• Members
  • NORSOF
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2004, 11:08:17 »
Right, well I solved #2 simply by closing the hole in the side of my vehicle by "dragging" it shut.

Although the soldiers in #1 now work, they still have a tendency to not move.... All I wan't is just an explanation about why this happens.
VIKING
Modeller/Skinner/Coder
NORFOR

teaCup

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2004, 15:17:34 »
Although the soldiers in #1 now work, they still have a tendency to not move....

I'm a bit confused: what does that mean? Do they work? They work but not all the time ? They don't work at all? Is it still island specific?

Offline Viking

• Members
  • NORSOF
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2004, 21:13:40 »
They all actually work now, so the topic is technically solved, but how about supplying me with any special technique of texturing a model to avoid #2...

Thanks for taking an interest! (not sarcasm)
VIKING
Modeller/Skinner/Coder
NORFOR

teaCup

« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2004, 18:46:20 »
I often find it hard to understand people's problems based solely on their descriptions. It's much easier to get some help if you post a screenshot, a piece of config (if it's the case) and even a part of the .p3d (if you're not the posessive type).

If i were you, i'd check the face properties, to see if all the rendering flags/properties are identical. Secondly, i'd display the normals to see if there are any, in need of recalculation or reversal. If none of this works, than it's probably a polygonal topology thing. Which means you probably need to remodel the parts in question. Polygons are not infinitely versatile; they like to form convex hulls, preferably closed ones (i.e. multiple open meshes sharing a single edge or vertex, having adjacent faces with opposing normals are asking for trouble). But i'm no expert.
I don't think your problem has to do with texturing.

Offline Viking

• Members
  • NORSOF
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2004, 07:32:06 »
Thanks, mate!
I'll explain som future problem like you say ;)
I myself know how difficult it is to solve a problem by description, because often the description, or parts of it, are wrongly used words and terms for the wrong things!

Now, I tried what you said, and it turned out to be a texturing problem...
I just re-textured the faces on the respective sides, and it all worked out well!

Thanks again for your help!
VIKING
Modeller/Skinner/Coder
NORFOR