Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Real World Place In OFP  (Read 1549 times)

TERA_Forrest

Real World Place In OFP
« on: 12 Apr 2004, 20:45:33 »
Ok, i could have been mistakin but i thought i read somwhere that its possible to get a real place into the WRPTOOL.  I could be wrong but if somone knows could u plz post how to do it?

what format of file am i looking for?

where can i get the file?

how do i get into the wrptool?

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
Re:Real World Place In OFP
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2004, 21:00:21 »
This initial process is the same as for any other tool. You will need to get either 30m or 90m DEM GIS data for the area you want, chop it up, reprocess it, then import it into your editor.

By far the best tutorial on the process is the one made by OFP-OJR, but that page is down. I have a personal copy, there are other summaries around. Try googling around for it.

Other keywords to hit the forums with are ojr, dem, microdem, wilbur.

Thanks.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2004, 21:00:22 »
You need a DEM (Digital Elevation Model) of the specific area you want.

This can involve piecing together several DEM's to get the correct sized area.....you need 30m resolution DEM's.
For a normal OFP map you need an area 12.8 X 12.8 km.

The DEM's are put together and manipulated in a program such as Microdem.

From Microdem you can translate the DEM into a Terragen file and import it into Wilbur and save as a Lon/Lat text file.

This file can be loaded into WrpEdit or WrpTool (I think).

There is much more to this process, but that is the whole thing simplified in terms of programs involved.

There are other methods, but that is the one I have used most.

EDIT:  Beaten by 1 second....... ::)

Planck
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2004, 21:02:34 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2004, 21:03:46 »
I'm building one right now for a mega-wanker tech-demo map to abuse the OFP engine from a DEM. Unfortunately I think it was a 90m dem, but it generally looks ok. The OJR tut said to resample the y-elev to 10%, I think I'm going to go back and redo it at 25-30%

Leone

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 05:12:18 »
PS. 30m DEMs are usually called 7.5 second DEMs.  ;)

TERA_Forrest

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2004, 09:05:37 »
sounds great, searching through google showed some interesting things but no tutes...  so is there any way u could send it to me?  my email is:

teraforrest@hotmail.com

also, i looked all over the place for the DEMS but didn't find any for free.  Could someone plz post a link for me?

found out that all the islands on ofp are real world btw, i've spilled the beans  ;D

check this out...
http://www.ciahome.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=The%20OFP%20islands

Kaliyuga

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2004, 20:52:00 »
check out this tute here:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=13641

I accidentally deleted the images off of my webspace a while ago, but Im fairly certain that you should be able to work through it without them...

if not I can see about reuploading the images and editing my post to reflect the proper links..

:cheers:

TERA_Forrest

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2004, 15:44:47 »
i downloaded the tool u had listed for the dems but i can't figure out how to upload a dem.  I downloaded a 30 DEM just to see what it was like but I can't open it.  ???

I need a DEM of the island crete and can't find it.  If i have to pay to get the files so be it.  I would wrather it be free though lol.

TERA_Forrest

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2004, 16:07:01 »
ok, so i downloaded a "practice" model for free.  In the zip file i've got 12 DDF files and 1 read me file.  How do i open this in 3DEM?