Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: From Maya to Oxygen - How?  (Read 1586 times)

brsseb

From Maya to Oxygen - How?
« on: 18 Sep 2002, 01:08:26 »
Hi

Ive heard that I could make OFP models with Maya but that I needed Oxygen to compile it. But how do I get my polygon model from Maya to Oxygen? What file type should I use. I know that O2 can import 3ds max files, but finding an 3ds export plugin for maya seems impossible.

Anyone?

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
Re:From Maya to Oxygen - How?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2002, 09:35:48 »
Your best bet is to find a model converter. Free such converters (or shareware) can be found at http://www.3dlinks.com

Just export in .OBJ format from Maya (It's a generic format, you don't need any plugins) and then you open that in the converter of your choice, and convert it to .3DS.

Now, one important thing to remember is that Maya and the .OBJ file format counts polygons by squares.

::

would be 1 polygon in Maya.
In 3D Studio and the .3DS file format however, that would be two polygons, since 3D Studio counts triangles.

:.

would be 1 polygon in 3D Studio MAX.

May I ask which version of Maya you have purchased?
Maya Complete does the trick, and costs a whole lot less than Maya Unlimited. And which version number, 4.0 or the newest 4.5?

Cheers, KTottE
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

brsseb

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2002, 16:06:18 »
Hi

Its Maya 4.0, one of those free downloadble student versions i think. Works perfectly except some disclaimers all over rendered pictures. But i think i can still export stuff from it

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2002, 20:03:23 »
Ok, it's called Maya PLE: Personal Learning Edition.

Sadly, you cannot export to any interpretable format with it. Since the tool has all the functionality of Maya Complete (pretty much) it cannot have interpretable format export. I think it saves in the .ma and .mb format, though I'm not sure about that.

* KTottE goes to check on the Alias|Wavefront homepage[/color]

* KTottE returns after a few minutes worth of poking about *[/color]

Sorry mate, this is what I found:

The Maya Personal Learning Edition restricts users to non-commercial applications through the display of a watermark on images as well as through the use of a special non-commercial file format. Registration is renewable yearly.

"a special non-commercial file format."

In proper english it means that you can't use that file format in anything but Maya PLE.

You might want to try your hand at GMax instead, as it has support for special MaxScripts which enable import and export to well known file formats.

Get it here.

Cheers mate, KTottE
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"