Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP Nursery  (Read 1807 times)

Schoeler

OFP Nursery
« on: 11 Sep 2002, 03:21:26 »
I've had an idea for awhile now and no means of implementing it, so I'll just mention it here first.  Could those of us armed with oxygen (sadly not me yet) begin a nice little nursery for OFP WRP editors?  What I mean is we could start a nice little collection of oxygen made trees and plants to match any type of terrain instead of relying on P3D edited models and corrupting the files when we insert them.  I'm sure their are plenty of talented modellers and texturers in this community that are capable of easily doing something as simple as say a palm tree or a cypress, or some vines or something.  Just a thought, but it would be a welcome little collection of addons.  WRP editors could then download whatever plants they desired from the nursery to make their unique islands.

Jakerod

Re:OFP Nursery
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2002, 04:13:40 »
Well one thing i need is a dead oak tree lying on the ground... I just thought that would be a cool thing to have. A two story barn basically just modified things from everon.

Schoeler

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2002, 19:45:17 »
Well, I see that was a popular idea.  I just got O2 so I'll try and start this myself.  Hopefully I can get a nice little collection of trees going so we can see some real triple canopy jungle.  I'll keep everyone posted as I can see they are waiting desperately for more news LOL  ;)

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2002, 20:18:40 »
I've been slowly collecting images to use for textures for new plants for a looong time, just need to finish the current projects, then I can help with this as well. At least I can offer what I have.

Some good places for good textures is a company called "Image Cell"

They have a whole range of commercial plants, trees, etc, that would be perfect for OFP's way of using flora. Too bad they're expensive as hell. They do have some free samples. Also if you look at their whole collection, you can grab all the images to use as reference...OR if your good, you can clone out the watermark and use them. Since this is not profit work, I don't see any moral dilema in doing this.

Another good reference is Turbosquid.com.

If you do a search for plants, many many images and textures will pop up. Many really nice 3d plants and their corresponding screenshots will pop up. I've bought some reasonably textures and models from here. If your serious about making new vegatation then this is another good place to look. If you search for free models and textures for plants, they do have a good collection of items.

Lastly, go to www.gettyone.com

I use this site for work on a daily basis, so I also do a lot of my own searching here "on the clock".

You can find lots of good images here as well. Anything you can think of. Again, this is another commercial site, and the usage right are quite harsh, so if you use a lo res version for something non commercial, be careful.

I have a lot of trial and error knowledege about making new plants...lot's of screwing around, so if you have any questions let me know.

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

Schoeler

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2002, 20:06:18 »
Hey ebud thanks!  If anyone hasn't told you, you are an alright guy.  I'm afraid this might take me awhile as I'm not very technically proficient.  I opened O2 for the first time the other day and my first instinct was to run away and hide.  But I will just have to put my nose to the grindstone and get familiar with it once more tutorials start cropping up.  Unfortunately this is a busy and critical semester for me at school as I'm making the final push for my entry into law school, so my free time is extremely limited, but I'll keep you posted, and good luck with your projects as well.

Schoeler

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2002, 20:06:30 »
Hey ebud thanks!  If anyone hasn't told you, you are an alright guy.  I'm afraid this might take me awhile as I'm not very technically proficient.  I opened O2 for the first time the other day and my first instinct was to run away and hide.  But I will just have to put my nose to the grindstone and get familiar with it once more tutorials start cropping up.  Unfortunately this is a busy and critical semester for me at school as I'm making the final push for my entry into law school, so my free time is extremely limited, but I'll keep you posted, and good luck with your projects as well.