Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Lampost light  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Lampost light
« Reply #30 on: 03 Dec 2003, 23:32:16 »
@Leone

I have played about with "size=" and have not found that they affect the "Light Fire" and "Put Out Fire" actions at all.

As far as I can tell this only affects the size of the light surface and consequently the maximum distance the light can be seen from.

Using "size=1", the light is just visible still at 300m.
Using "size=0.01" the light is just visible at about 12.5m.
Both these examples used "brightness=0".

I have a picture I was going to post......but the site wont let me...........never mind.  ;D

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Leone

« Reply #31 on: 04 Dec 2003, 04:11:57 »
You tried size=0 with the Fire simulation? Hmmm...ok. I wonder though. At a certain point I no longer got the Light/Put Out Fire message, and I thought it was when I changed them to size=0. I can't really think of how else I did it.... :-\

Are you creating just a "glow" or is it attched to an object using a memory point?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #32 on: 04 Dec 2003, 21:59:43 »
Example entry below Leone:

class LargeRunwayMarkerGreen: RunwayMarkerWhite
{
   displayName="Green Runway Marker (Large)";
   class Light
   {
      color[] = {0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0};
      ambient[] = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
      brightness = 0.0;
      Shape="koulesvetlo";
      size = 1.0;
      position = "";
   };
};

Also: model="empty" and simulation="fire".

The other light with size=0.01 produces a very tiny light suitable for instrument lighting or dashboards, if there was a way to attach them.  Probably with a proper model there would be.

With size=0, I still get the "Light Fire" and "Put Out Fire" options.

No memory points as I am not using a model this is only a config.cpp.

I also find flicker is very very minimal with brightness at 0.

The size seems to determine how far away the light will still be visible from.

Brightness seems to determine how much it illuminates its surroundings.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Phaeden

• Members
  • There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.
« Reply #33 on: 04 Dec 2003, 22:55:41 »
I am not sure, but maybe changing whether it is global, or not may have something to do with the action menu "light fire."

My question is how do i add one of the "fire" objects and then "light" it so that it is always on - all this through WrpTool.

I am extremely close to being finished with my island - all I have left are airfield lights.  I have tried everything I can think of, but have so far been unable to get working lights.  Any help is appreciated.
Semper Fi

Leone

« Reply #34 on: 05 Dec 2003, 02:27:26 »
Interesting Planck. Like I said earlier, I don't have the Flare texture, so I have a "clearer" view of the object (koulesvetlo), and trust me, size = 0 gets rid of the object. As for the action....well further testing I guess, but at the moment I seem to have no actions popping up...which is good for me!  ;D

Maybe it's because I am CamCreating the objects and setpos-ing them? Might be one of those weird things  :-\

@Phaeden - you can't. The only ways I know of to have lights switch on (that are in a wrp file) are to either use the "switchlight" command and the object id numbers, or to base them off the lampa_ name and have the game engine do it for you.

Offline Phaeden

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 05 Dec 2003, 02:37:32 »
Does anyone have a working model that I could look at??  

I have been pulling my hair out for over a week trying to figure this devil out.  It is driving me nuts!

I need an object that I can place using WrpTool (or WrpEdit) that will "light up" - I am only interested in seeing the light and not the illumination effect on the surrounding areas.  I have tried (and failed) at making a "streetlamp" simulation, a "fire" simulation, modifying the obrye svetlo (sp?) object (which is a little white textured object (using cessna_light.paa)), and creating a custom object - all have failed.

My latest creation - a mod of the svetlo object results in seeing the correctly colored object (red, blue, green, etc) but only during the daytime.  At night the object is very dark - unlike the svelto object which is bright (even at night).  

This is all I need in order to publish my Gaia island.  I will give credit, etc. to anyone that can help me out.

Semper Frustrated
Semper Fi

Leone

« Reply #36 on: 05 Dec 2003, 05:45:52 »
Look at Col Klinks first post (previous page). He tells you what to call the object, and how to configure it  :)

You will want to config it so brightness = 0, size = some number, try 1 and go from there.

Offline Phaeden

• Members
« Reply #37 on: 05 Dec 2003, 06:08:10 »
Unfortunately, I have done all that - still with no joy.

I appreciate your help.
Semper Fi

BigD102471

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2004, 22:14:07 »
Hey all I know this comes too little too late, but I took ground school back in the 80's and know what a runway's lights are supposed to appear like.

Unless you are dead set in making the lights sequence down the strip, solid white lights running along the sides were just as acceptable at the time.

It's the runway end lights that you would have a problem with. The principle lights back then had a double-sided light shroud on those running the width of the strip at the end with a green half of the shroud facing outward from the strip, and a red half facing inward. I would imagine that to be difficult to deal with in OFP but I suppose if you were really hard up you could rig up two rows of lights at each end of the strip of the appropriate color facing the strip.  

It's just a thought. ;D