Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Migrating addons-install question?  (Read 516 times)

FLBEE

Migrating addons-install question?
« on: 05 Oct 2003, 16:33:01 »
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but here goes.

I have a problem with a new addon migrating or overwriting something in previous mission (maybe a unamed empty object or effect)

--Mission A, that I have been working on, never had addon"b" in it.  I installed addon"b" into my addon folder. Now mission A won't load up in the editor --missing addon "b" messg.  
It will load up in single missions but I get a error messg. "cannot load missing addon"b". This all happened without having ever actually changing anything in the mission--all I did was install the addon "b" and play the test mission that came with it.

I deleted addon "b" from my addons folder but it didn't work.  I tried a fresh install of resistance, but the problem followed me.
Resistance even remembered my screen name after the fresh install. I did delete the codemasters ofp folder after I uninstalled it--just in case of any left over addon problems, but it still followed me.
Even after re-intalling flashpoint twice, then giving up and just including the addon it said it was missing, I still get the error messg.
--The addon i'm intentionally using in Mission A is made by the same guy that made addon "b".

So where do I need to go to delete flashpoint completely off my system so I can do a fresh install? Is it deep inside windows somewhere?

I know I should probably ask the addon maker, but I thought I would check here first to see if this is a problem anybody ever ran into and if I could fix it on my end.
I definately don't want to sound like i'm complaining or i'm ungratefull for the hard work that goes into addons.

THX for your time.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Migrating addons-install question?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2003, 21:16:39 »
Rather than installing again, try this.     Remove addon b from your addons folders.    Fire up Notepad (or your favourite text editor) and open the mission.sqm file for mission A.      Near the top you will find a list of addons.  Delete them all.    Check further down the mission.sqm for the Intro and Outro addon lists and delete there too if necessary.   Don't worry - this won't destroy the mission.

Now try and play mission A.  It should work.   How you reintegrate addon b into your ofp folders without everything going wrong again is a tricker question of course.

Definitely contact the addon maker.  

If all else fails post the details addon concerned here - I understand why you are being discrete and it's a good attitude, but in the end of the day you have a problem and if we know what addon is involved it may help somebody come up with an answer.

As a fix you could add addon b to mission A, say on an outlying island somewhere where it won't be noticed.   That might do the trick, you never know.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

FLBEE

« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2003, 15:25:00 »
THX macguba!

It wasn't the addon, it was me.

I didn't know there was a seperate addon list in the sqm for intros and outros. I found the casue in the intro list.

I don't know how it got there yet, or what the connection to installing the new addon was. Maybe I messed around with that unit on one of those sleep deprived 2am mission marathons, and just didn't remember.  ;D

The addon I put in my mission was HAWK M109 Palladin artillery and the addon that got in the way was HAWK 2s19 artillery. Both of them are great , they show barrel recoil and everything.

I fixed the mission and fixed the mission link in 'mission beta' forum.

I just suffer from a bad case of noobitus.

thx again.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2003, 16:23:46 »
lol good ol' "user error". ;D

Well, actually  it may not have been you.   I too have suffered with strange addon conflicts, which can sometimes be put down to OFP's fickleness rather than a mistake by the addon creator or user.   Anyway, all's well that ends well.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play