Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Syncing Triggers  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
Syncing Triggers
« on: 01 Oct 2003, 18:45:23 »
:gunman:Tyger:gunman:

Well, I posted on on this before, and thought I had it fixed, but its not.  :'(
I have tried repeatedly to sync triggers to waypoints but it always fails to work. Does any one else have a problem with this? I would like to know, cause maybe its a faulty game...
Anyway, does anyone know how I could fix this problem?

I could use some help...
Tyger
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Syncing Triggers
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2003, 19:06:27 »
What does not work? Could you give me an example?

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

GrimMonkey

« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2003, 21:15:59 »
Keep in mind Tyger that you cannot synch Triggers to Waypoints (I think), only the other way around.

And you cannot synch a waypoiny that is placed on a unit, the 'Synchee' must host the Trigger first, then link to designated Waypoint.

In a case in which both are present, create another waypoint for the unit right above the other and synch as needed

Beware the GrimMonkey

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2003, 02:07:20 »
Tyger, you have our sympathies.    OFP is a fickly mistress.    However, fundamentally synch triggers DO work so if you are having problems there is obviously something going wrong somewhere.      The more details you can give us about the problem the better chance we have or solving it.

As with so many problems, my questions are simple.   What exactly were you trying to achieve?   What did you do?   What went wrong?    How do you know it went wrong?

Oh, and T.R.Armstrong (I like that, somebody came up with it the other day) I'll shoot you just as soon as I have a good reason so to do.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2003, 01:16:51 »
:gunman:Tyger:gunman:
Okay, hey the deal.
Well, my mission was to have a M113 unit, a squad, an M1Abrahms platoon, and the player's squad to all move down a valley into the FUP.

I created the waypoints into the FUP and in each activation line, wrote squadname_in_FUP = 1.

Then I created a trigger and in the condition box entered: squadname_in_FUP == 1 for each of the four squads.

I finally synced all the waypoints in the FUP to the trigger so the squads wouldn't attack until eveyone was there.

Finally I tested the game, and my squad was the last to arrive. We set off the trigger, but the other squads didn't continue on to their Seek & Destry waypoints.

I checked the trigger, waypoints, the whole nine yards, and it was all perfect. The trigger was set to Switch, and everything was typed in as should be.

I even created a much simpler mission to test the trigger and see if it was just a human error, but the trigger didn't work in that mission either.

So, I have quite a large problem here, and I can't seem to fix it... Can anyone help? :help:
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2003, 01:35:01 »
Tyger - you said you typed the _squadname_in_FUP ==1 for each group in the triggers condition box, but you didn't say that you ANDed (&&) them.  Is that significant?

In theory, you should also be able directly synch the FUP waypoints together without the trigger so groups won't progress until all FUP waypoints are completed.  Much simpler . . . in theory.

Check the WP types as well - some, like HOLD don't 'complete' others, like SEEK & DESTROY, may not complete for ages.

Hope you crack it!

deaddog

« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2003, 01:35:42 »
you don't need a trigger at all.  Just sync all the waypoints together at the form up point.  Sync group 1 FUP wp to group 2 FUP wp, then sync group 3 FUP wp to group 2, etc.  When all groups are at the FUP wp, they will all move.

One thing to remember.  If you do use global variables in the condition line of triggers or waypoints, always remember to initialize them in the init.sqs file first.  Example:

squadname_in_FUP = 0

do this for each global variable that is used in the condition of a trigger.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 04 Oct 2003, 01:57:15 »
Tyger
Yeah, I did use AND...
I've decided to just link the waypoints together, and remove the trigger. Lot simpler. Thanks for everybody's input. It might be that I just have a faulty version. (And no, I did not burn the game; its the original.)

Cheers to everyone...:cheers: