Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Exporting models from GMax  (Read 2371 times)

1B1KSniper

Exporting models from GMax
« on: 29 Aug 2002, 09:41:35 »
How do I export models from GMax's .gmax format?
Anyone know?
I posted this on the old forum but they switched to the new froum before I could get this question answered.

FW200

Re:Exporting models from GMax
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2002, 16:14:21 »
Yup also got that problem  >:(
I got an great model that wille be imported soon but its in GMAX form an the maker doesnt reply on my mails

Are there any converters out there??

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2002, 16:25:06 »
I actually answered this question a gazillion times on the old board, but here goes.

There is something called "Gamepacks" for GMax. A Game-Pack (hereby known as GP) enables you to import/export models for a specific game only. Thus far there are not many games with accompanying GP's.
Quake III has a downloadable GP.
Flight Sim 2002 ships with a version of GMax and a GP.
Combat Flight Sim 3 will have a GP.

Anyway, the Quake III GP, known as the Tempest GP. With that you can do a work-around to get your models into .3DS format. Export them as MD3 (Quake III format) then use Milkshape to convert them to .3DS files.

The same can be done with the FS2002 GP. That uses .MDL format files, which is also convertible by MS. I think.

I know some people have claimed that there are custom MaxScript importer/exporters for .obj and other formats, but I've never seen one in action so I really can't say.

Oh, and where to find the GP's.
Tempest can be found on the discreet homepage.
FS2002 GP only ships with the game.
Same with Combat Flight Sim 3.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

1B1KSniper

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2002, 05:07:05 »
I can't do that because my milkshape expired, which is why I got GMax.  Are there any other ways?

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2002, 09:36:21 »
I know some people have claimed that there are custom MaxScript importer/exporters for .obj and other formats, but I've never seen one in action so I really can't say.

^ that's the only way I know of. Though I'm not sure if there are exporters, I've only heard about importers. Try searching google for some
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Thorne

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2002, 15:40:06 »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2002, 15:47:12 »
Yup, that's the import script alright. But thus far I have yet to see an export script.

dj_flash

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2002, 20:47:24 »
GMAX scripts are restricted so you can't export anything via script. All export scripts only work in 3DSMax. You have to use a game pack.

Zack

« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2002, 05:31:00 »
u could BUY milkshape ;D
i think its pretty cheap and very usefull.

Gameer_77

« Reply #9 on: 03 Nov 2002, 11:03:30 »
Is there any app that can import .MD3 and export .3DS without any time-trial or anything?  :-\ :'(

8)PEACE
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2002, 11:15:40 by Gameer_77 »