Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Machinegunners that attack Helos?  (Read 2430 times)

Cpt. Robertson

Machinegunners that attack Helos?
« on: 28 Aug 2002, 23:57:18 »
I've noticed that the East Machinegunners will happily open fire upon the UH-60MG (The one with the .50 Cal MG on the side), parachutes and Cpt Moore's Littlebirds, but they seem to ignore the UH-60 armed with FFAR's and the AH-64, AH-1, OH-58 'etc'.

Is there some variable in the config.cpp file that determines whether an aircraft can be attacked by Machinegunners, or is it related to cost 'etc'?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.  :)

Duff

Re:Machinegunners that attack Helos?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2002, 00:04:01 »
correct, TJP's DAPs seem to avoid being shot at. i don't know the amount that turns the "shoot at me" behavior on. perhaps someone else can shed some more light on it.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2002, 00:50:53 »
Well guys... all units have threat models included in the config.cpp files that tell em what priority to assign to certain target classes... so you could make yourself an AA Machine Gunner I suppose....  ;D The bit in the config.cpp looks like this :

type=VAir;
//threat[] VSoft, VArmor, VAir
threat[]={0.3, 1, 0.4};

Shows three types of threats.. and the corresponding priority assigned to that type of target ;)
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2002, 00:51:50 by Kaliyuga »

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2002, 03:11:57 »
There may be other variables, but if you turn the accuracy of the heli to 5 or over then the AI MG will shoot at them.

SelectThis

Vyper

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2002, 15:07:48 »
Is there anyway at all to get AI Rifle men and all sorts of infantry to attack a helo?

I'm trying to get NVA and VC troops to shoot up passing UH-1's as they ferry troops. And i dn't want the eastern side squads having machine gunners.

Vyper

Cpt. Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2002, 22:07:13 »
Some great feedback there, thanks for the info and speedy response folks. :)

Cpt. Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2002, 01:12:25 »
Been altering the accuracy setting on various 3rd party addon Helo's and whilst it seems to work for the majority of them, it seems to change their in-game name back to the default OFP one, i.e. Coogars AH-1G is shown as AH1 again 'etc'.

Unfortunately changing the accuracy also doesn't seem to make the West Machinegunners attack the Mi-24 or the V-80, just the Mi-17.

I'll experiment with a few other settings, such as cost and threat values to see what happens.

tai mai shu

« Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2002, 03:19:01 »
seems like they only fire at ferrying choppers.  in real life, i sure as hell wouldnt shoot at an apache with that mean 30mm cannon staring me down. hehehe  ;D

Eviscerator

« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2002, 05:23:52 »
i think its probably because they wont hit anything, either that or bis left the proxy's off of the fire geometry model, so the ai cant see them, same with tanks that are turned in, you never see ai mg's shooting at them

Cpt. Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 03 Sep 2002, 21:20:37 »
i think its probably because they wont hit anything, either that or bis left the proxy's off of the fire geometry model, so the ai cant see them, same with tanks that are turned in, you never see ai mg's shooting at them

Yep, from the feedback I got via E-mail and ICQ, you could be right.  Oh well it was worth a try.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone - The responses I've had so far have been very professional, helpful and mature and are a credit to both these forums and OFPEC in general. ;)