Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Placing Vehicles within WrpEdit  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Phaeden

• Members
  • There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.
Placing Vehicles within WrpEdit
« on: 30 Apr 2003, 01:55:38 »
Greetings all,

I am nearing completion of my new island and am almost at the point where I would like to place vehicles (cars, planes, tanks, etc.) on the map within WrpEdit so that they will be objects the are including in the map.  I know you can do this while creating a mission within the game, but I would like to add some of these vehicles to give the island a "lived-in" feel to it.  The problem that I am encountering is that if I place a car, for example, in WrpEdit, it has a white "cell" - rectangular tubes - surrounding the car when viewed in-game.  Is there a way around this problem?  I have scanned the forums buy haven't seen how to address this using standard (BIS) objects.

Thanks for your help.

Semper Fi
Semper Fi

xero

Re:Placing Vehicles within WrpEdit
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2003, 21:07:26 »
I'm afraid I don't know the answer but I'd advise you to leave them out, in my opinion its best to let mission editors palce them to give it the 'lived-in feel', otherwise they may become annoying, plus if you decide to change the era of a mission on your map to say WW1 it won't help to have a modern car lying around.  :)

Leone

« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2003, 08:12:10 »
That's only the view you will get in WRPEdit.....it's not that good at showing objects.

I would advise you to leave them out, for the reasons above and also that I think they will be "locked" if you put them in the wrp file. A better option would be to actually make a mission or two for your island  ;D

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2003, 02:00:31 »
Yes, the rectangular tubes are there in-game, although in WrpEdit they do not appear.

The original game vehicles have the BIS logo on them in WrpEdit.

I don't yet know of any solution to this, if there is any.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Phaeden

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2003, 09:51:35 »
I appreciate your comments.  As for allowing map makers to put in the objects - I agree this is the best route, but many map makers do not take the time to add the objects in - I also believe that objects placed in the game editor require an extra amount of memory to draw (at least it seems like this when I place a lot of buildings in the game vs. in WrpEditor).

I, also, have found no way to insert the objects.  It seems that any object that can move has those boxes around them in game.  

Oh well, looks like my island will be ready that much sooner  :)

Thanks again!
Semper Fi

Offline rom

• Members
  • . . .
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2003, 15:34:09 »
What you could do to help mission makers is to make a template mission for your map with all the vehicles placed so a mission maker could take this template (or not) and make his mission with those vehicles. He can even integrate them into the mission if he wants.

This also gives you much more possibilities to make the map more lifelike since you can place waypoints for the vehicles and make them move like bus and car traffic between the villages or place some civilians and make them flee when a military unit enters the village,...the possibilities are endless.

I bet mission makers would gladly take such a template to build their missions upon it.

Leone

« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2003, 17:14:08 »
Well..you beat me to it ROM.....a template mission is the way to go.  ;D

Offline Phaeden

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2003, 03:47:23 »
Thanks gents, that sounds like a grand idea.  I will give this serious thought.  
Semper Fi

PFC_Mike

« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2003, 01:28:25 »
I disagree. Things like radios or chairs in the houses are a great improvement. Even a helicopter or two at the airport or a bike lying next to a house is a good idea. One of the cool things about Greece3 was the wrecked truck near the auto-repair place in Larissa.

The mission template is a fantastic idea, but better suited to setting up bus traffic, wandering civillians, etc.

Leone

« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2003, 06:17:40 »
Mike.......radios, chairs and wrecked vehicles you can't use anyway  ;) We were talking about working, playable vehicles  :)

xero

« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2003, 21:31:05 »
Radios and other such objects I agree with you, but even wrecked vehicles will constrain a mission maker, which imo is a bad thing.