Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bridges and Terrain Detail....  (Read 872 times)

MadAussie

Bridges and Terrain Detail....
« on: 19 Mar 2003, 08:35:12 »
Gday guys..
I have come across a problem a few times during the course of making islands..it relates to bridges..when setting bridges I line up the bridge relatively close to the road..and then with each piece thereafter i *1stly uncheck 'fit to ground' and then copy and paste the same height level for each piece*..the problem then comes in game..when on any detail level higher than very-low to low the bridge pieces tend to follow the ingame contours and distort bridge pieces preventing units from Driving across...:)
Its frustrating me...Is this one of the reasons for low-res and high-res maps being released seperately??
One more thing..sometimes..when i place a bridge the AI units will not go across without a WP for each piece of bridge..flags set as roadway etc
Anyone know why???  (Planck helped me with this once B4..)
MadAussie out....

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Bridges and Terrain Detail....
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2003, 20:48:54 »
Ok......

Provided your bridge is level enough, AI should manage to cross it once you have set the bridge route as 'roadway'.

To do this, select the cells that the bridge route covers and then go to the Flags Tab......Enter Expert Mode.......then check the roadway checkbox.......finally press the Change button.

You need to do this AFTER setting the default flags, if you do it before setting default flags the bridge route will be reset to 'not roadway' again.

In MOST cases AI will now cross the bridge.

Getting the bridge pieces to the same level in-game is a trial and error process when the bridge is covering some steep slopes.
I think it is best to do the checking in-game using Normal Detail setting.

If I find a way of calculating this beforehand I will surely let everyone know.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

MadAussie

Re:Bridges and Terrain Detail....
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2003, 02:45:09 »
Gday Planck,

I have set the default flags then set them manually..everything you listed..but..units will not cross bridge without multiple waypoints!! It is frustrating me..last time you helped me you found i used too many bridge pieces..i have not made same mistake since and have used numerous bridges since your help that work..but this one is 'KILLING ME'..ill rework it a bit and maybe i could send it to ya for a peep..
Re normal detail setting..i usually use it..but when bridge distortions occurred it was fixed by low detail setting..weird huh?? anyway thanks
MadAussie out.......