Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Oxygen squares!  (Read 3125 times)

asmodeus

Re:Oxygen squares!
« Reply #15 on: 08 Mar 2003, 00:30:20 »
Ohhh....

Then I certainly can't help you.   :-\

I do things much differently.  I use a different method of 3d modeling.

Good luck!   8)

L8rz

Asmo

Morpheous

« Reply #16 on: 08 Mar 2003, 16:47:14 »
Which way is your mind giving me a overview if you have the time please just give a brief description i am sick of this way of getting pics and modelling there must be another way to do it too  ???

I am desperate someone helpppppppp!!!!!!!!!!

Kaliyuga

« Reply #17 on: 08 Mar 2003, 19:35:15 »
  Asmo and I almost never model in O2  Morpheous , thats why he wasn't really too familiar with the problem......

Instead of going through and making your points, then making those points into faces, etc      we basically make primitives and then edit those.... (i.e.  making  cubes, spheres, cones and cylinders)

Instead of making a 2d drawing which you then make 3d later, we start with 3d objects and shape them how we want...

Since O2 was made by BIS for OFP , and it has the ability to import 3DS files, I would imagine that most of the official models were created in 3DS.

O2 is all right.. and it does the job, but all in all it really is a subpar modelling/texturing program  

In the near future I can see us using O2 only for the memory/fire/geo LOD's
and doing all modelling and texturing before it even gets to O2

hope this shines some light on our modelling methods

Morpheous

« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2003, 19:31:22 »
Thanks so i guess no one who models seriouly never uses O2 wonder what the damn hype was all about when it was released so it can only be used to configure LOD's and all so thats it only use  ::)

Damn then i better get 3ds max  :P

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2003, 02:31:23 »
From what I hear, BIS used O2 to make almost all the models for OFP (not 3DS).

Morpheous,

DeLiltMon gave you the solution to the problem of reloading the blueprints.

Say, you're working in Side view doing the with the side image of the object as the blueprint. Then all you need to do is create a new standalone face (standard 1x1 is fine) and move it so that it is covered by the blueprint texture. Then map the blueprint texture to that face.

The next time you want to use the side view select the face you made and select form "Background from face". This will bring up that texture again.

btw that blueprint should be in paa/pac format and sized correctly and located in a directory at the same level as your buldozer.

SelectThis

Eviscerator

« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2003, 02:45:20 »
Thanks so i guess no one who models seriouly never uses O2 wonder what the d**n hype was all about when it was released so it can only be used to configure LOD's and all so thats it only use  ::)

d**n then i better get 3ds max  :P

Actually, a lot of serious modellers use o2, its a good program, i find it easier to use than 3ds max (which i have), and its alot easier to create faces, and its also more suited to ofp, modelling with primitives can leave a lot of faces you dont need, it also doesnt give you much control over the model (i used to model this way when i first started modelling)

Kaliyuga

« Reply #21 on: 11 Mar 2003, 05:57:33 »
From what I hear, BIS used O2 to make almost all the models for OFP (not 3DS).

So why include the ability to import 3DS models?  seems like a waste of code if it was never utilized ;)

asmodeus

« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:10:54 »
lol

my theory is:

The end result is the important thing

Everyone thinks differently, makes programs differently, and uses programs differently.  

IMO, addon and mission making for OFP is kind of an art.  You use a combination of the tools that work best for you and that you understand easiest.    ;D

And I do think O2 has great modeling abilities.  I actually use it instead of my other 3d modeling programs for certain things that seem to me to be easier to design in O2.  

That's what's so cool about BIS.  They believe in trying to make their product work well with everything.  They use code that's very compatible and release tools to help the community.   They allow the use of .jpg and .wav when they could have easily forced people away from those formats.  They probably put .3ds format in there because it's a kind of "standard" for 3d models and most programs accept that format...  Anyway I say hats off to them for releasing O2 and I personally have no complaints and am happy with things!  

Why have expectations of free software anyways?   ::)   ;)   :P

Asmo