Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Note on wrp_file repairs  (Read 982 times)

Offline MidShip

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Note on wrp_file repairs
« on: 15 Dec 2002, 17:49:54 »
Some time ago I've found, from where the WrpEdit access violation error comes from and made a note about this on another forum. As this error occurs frequently and as some may not have got accesss on this (forum expired), here a brief note (word.doc) on how to approach the repair. Also, the note is intended, to give a more detailed overview on the related wrp_file sections.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Note on wrp_file repairs
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2002, 19:34:06 »
Midship......

I read your file and the structure you outlined for .wrp files is essentially correct.

However, I have fixed many .wrp files and I have never come across the number of models counter being incorrect.
Having said that, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it yet.

In all cases it has been one, or more, of the Object definitions that are incorrect.

By object definitions I mean the 56 byte blocks which describe the objects position and orientation on the map.
Specifically, the X and Y position values.

There is usually at least one objects position that is incorrectly specified.
It takes a while scanning through the whole list to find which one, or ones, are incorrect.

They are only allowed certain values and if a forbidden value is specified, it is 'Out of Bounds'.

This is usually, to my mind, caused by an object disappearing when you attempt to move it whilst zoomed in too far.
It doesnt disappear, it gets moved to one of the map edges, sometimes 'Out of Bounds'.

It is always best to find these objects and delete them before saving the .wrp file again.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.