Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rsc fitting the whole screen even for widescreen users  (Read 1574 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Hi friends...

Does anyone know how to get around the problem of CutRsc... not widescreen v.s widescreen. How can I make it work (covering the whole screen) regardless of resolution options?
Even in Mandoble's excellent bomb scripts, the dialogue doesn't cover the whole screen for me (1680*1050), this makes me suspect that it's not possible... or?

Cheers

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: Rsc fitting the whole screen even for widescreen users
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2008, 02:59:16 »
Might be using screen coordinates (dimensions) different than (0-1)x(0-1), might be starting with -0.25 and ending at 1.25.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2008, 03:27:36 »
But this still means that the CutRsc is going to be cropped on a non widescreen, right?
Meaning that if you have text and stuff it might be out of the frame.

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Suchy

• Members
    • Synthetic Soundscapes
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2008, 04:53:38 »
When you're defining your resource, use values like these:
class visual1: RscPicture
      {
      sizeEx=0;
         text="visual_low1.paa";
         x=-0.25; y=0; w=1.5; h=1;
      };
Fits widescreen nice, but I guess it would indeed be cropped for 4:3 format.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2008, 13:21:23 »
And there is no command to detect what resolution someone is using, right? If there was one, further scripting could help to make two versions of the rsc.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2008, 14:28:04 »
There is a way, but IMO not even worth the effort. Like when you sych the screen of a PDA, as you start a mission you open a dialog with a clickable control (-1,-1)-(2,2), showing a text "please, click the upper left and lower right corners". You get the clicked coords and you know the dimensions of that screen.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2008, 15:15:17 »
I might be wrong about this, but in the intro of the ArmA original campaign they seem to have solved it with multiple .paa overlapping eachother.
Look at the TV screen in the intro. If you have widescreen the speakers of the TV set are visible on left and right side of TV screen

Laggy

Offline Suchy

• Members
    • Synthetic Soundscapes
« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2008, 16:17:06 »
I think it's just one version of the texture in wide format. Only the middle is visible in 4:3.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2008, 00:10:05 »
Strictly, to be full-screen for everyone you should go from -1.01 to +2.01, since the greatest width that ArmA supports is three 4:3 monitors, arranged horizontally, which gives 12:3 or 4:1 ratio (more might be possible by tweaking, but I'm not aware of that possibility). This means that the potentially visible area of the screen should run from -1 to +2 horizontally (though it is wise to make things a tiny bit bigger so you don't get a visible "edge"). As you can't tell what format the player is using, only put information/interaction elements inside the regular 4:3 (0 to 1 horizontally) space. Outside this area, just use a "flavour" image, like the speakers on the BIS TV, or just fill with your background colour if you don't want some people to be able to see the 3D world around the edges of your dialog.

EDIT: Remember that if you have less than a 12:3 screen, which most people don't, you can always set ArmA into that aspect ratio for testing purposes. The screen will appear severely squashed, but at least you can see what your dialog edges would look like to every player.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2008, 00:16:29 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)