Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rah-66 Comanche Helicopter first screenshots.  (Read 5086 times)

Eviscerator

Re:Rah-66 Comanche Helicopter first screenshots.
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2002, 04:43:29 »
a triple barrel 20mm sounds like an M197 as used on cobras since the AH-1J, and the site i got that info from is: http://www.geocities.com/ph_armstrong/WingRotary/Gunships/AH-1.htm

Bishop

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2002, 15:15:19 »
Eviscator, I really want to have the link to that page that says the comance will be cancelled. As far as I know the AH-66 project got cancelled, but the RAH-66 is planned for 2004. If you check my links to the pages I gave in the posts before, then you know the helicopter is going to be constructed. The 2 RAH-66 that excist today, are both slightly different and the one giving the best results will be constructed.

Eviscerator

« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2002, 20:37:25 »
er i already gave the link in my last post, but i didnt say they cancelled it, just saying what i read on the site that the US Army couldnt afford to have the RAH-66 as a supplement to the apache, but youll read that on the site...

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2002, 23:15:35 »
The info was from a role playing game's website or something I think. Not the most reliable source of defense industry related news in my opinion.
No Biship, I think the Commanche is still on track. I don't know if it still within it's projected budgetary constraints, but these large procurement projects for such a complex system usually tend to be a little more costly than planned. In any case, I have read that Commanche's R&D phase acounts for only 4.5% of the Army's total fiscal year budget... definately well within the capabilities of the Army to absorb at this date. I wonder where this is all going? We have a replacement for the OH-58/AH-1/AH-6 in the RAH-66. The V-22 will replace all of the Blackhawk variants, the UH-1's still in service, as well as the Pavelow, Chinook variant's, and probably others. Now we need a replacement for the Apache...
I'd make a larger/heavier version of the Commanche, for this. Just stretch the fuselage and put in a large rotary weapons launcher similar to the one on the B-1, and B-2 bombers. Not quite that large but you get the idea... It needs six-eight hardpoints of the capacity found on the Apache. This gprovides a total of 16 Hellfire's, plus two rocket pods, plus four AIM-9X Sidewinders, or four Stingers. Add the Apache M230 cannon. The Apache's chaingun would fit the low-observable fairing of the Commanche as well, or maybe make a retractable system that allows the gun to be stowed inside the fuselage.
Well, that's what I'd do anyway.

Eviscerator

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2002, 23:37:20 »
er, theres a lot of things wrong with what you said, the RAH-66 couldnt hope to do what the AH-6 does, its not small enough for the jobs the AH-6 does, its only planned to do the OH-58 and AH-1 jobs, and the V-22 replacing all the blackhawk variants? not a chance! the army isnt even buying v-22's so the chinooks wont be replaced by it either, replacing the pavelows and hueys? not any time soon, the blackhawks will be first to replace them, the only helo's the v-22 is to replace are the H-46 and some of the jobs of the H-53, as for the apache replacement, the AH-64D will be around for a very long time to come, it was only first delivered in 1997 and the US Army isnt even replacing all of its AH-64A's, however it can go some of the way to doing the job of the OH-58D kiowa warrior/AH-1 as those two pictures from that site are actually on globalsecurity.org:

http://globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/rah-66-specs.htm

id go with making the last two if i were you, they are the only ones that could be made well enough in ofp, as the gears would have to stay down, and there can be no inflight panel opening, so no hidden weapon systems, until bis make this work youre pretty much screwed bishop :)

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2002, 06:01:24 »
i'm sure FlipeR will think of some thing for ya!  ;)

johnnylump

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2002, 06:18:21 »
RAH-66 Comanche program is still active, although it may get cancelled. Rumsfeld's already done away with the Crusader artillery, and other big-ticket programs like the F-22, JSF, Osprey and Comanche all may face cuts.

Barring that, initial production for Comanche slated for 2004 (www.boeing.com)

Coporal_Punishment

« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2002, 09:22:48 »
Yeah it'll be awsome if you boys down at Balistics help.

and another thing

The Comanche is slated to replace the AH-1 Series Cobra light attack helicopter, the OH-6A Cayuse, and the OH-58A/OH-58C Kiowa light observation helicopters.

source

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/rah-66.htm

Tigershark

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2002, 10:44:21 »
Bishop....please email if you would like to move this project over to Ballistic....you will be the chief developer of course..you'll just benefit from our infrastructure and experience.

Totally up to you my friend....either way....good luck...it looks awesome.

Bishop

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2002, 18:15:34 »
Eviscator, I see what confusion came up with you. You confused the AH-66 with the RAH-66.

The AH-66 was a Gunship, meant to do a lot of damage in the battlefield.

The RAH-66 is a recon helicopter for light recon/scout tasks.

The AH-66 Gunship was cancelled, but the RAH-66 will be produced in 2004.

As in RAH-66, It stands for Recon/Attack Helicopter (which means it's fast, light and lethal).

The AH-66 -> is just an attack helicopter, where was no use for as the AH-64 could easly do the same task. That's why the AH-66 was cancelled, but the RAH-66 will be constructed. That's the whole story out there.

-Bishop

P.S: Tigershark, I've mailed you to negotiate first. E-mail me back will ya? Thanks. :)