Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Modifying existing objects without editing the source  (Read 1179 times)

Baphomet

I probably didn't explain that well but, I was wondering if it was possible to modify certain objects, such as ammo clips for existing guns in OFP, and modify certain characteristics with a .cpp addon. So the addon basically suprecedes the original statistic replaced when the game starts up.

For example, setting a flare's magazinetype=1 so you can have a gazillion flares in your inventory, without creating a new type of flare.

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
Re:Modifying existing objects without editing the source
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2002, 10:47:28 »
indeed, but it would cause severe errors and conflicts with the soldiers allready ingame.. i really dont suggest that you do this..

Baphomet

« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2002, 11:50:41 »

So long as everyone in a multiplayer game is using the same addon, what problems would arise otherwise?

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2002, 18:31:45 »
The biggest problem is then making sure that everyone is using the same addons, replacing default BIS is not something to be taken lightly, as that is how the cheaters get away with things. If you want people to use your addon then I would advise against changing any default weapon features.

SelectThis

Baphomet

« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2002, 01:53:55 »
     Ah. So its about how honorable my intentions are huh? I'm not a cheater. I don't play OFP with anyone other than my friends over a lan (I cannot stand one teensy bit of lag, throws me right off). If one of us was caught cheating, we'd be in close enough proximity from one another that an exchange of fistcuffs would surely ensue. =P

Its things like flares. Small things. I can't stand the fact that I can only carry around four or so of them without severely hampering my ability to carry necessary ammo. That and 40mm grenades. Which (imo) take up far too much space. It seems like a rotten waste to just do away with the default items and make new ones, especially when all the default ones need is just a bit of tweaking to make them more useful in missions wherein you have to traverse long expanses in between resupply zones (if at all).

However, that does explain a lot. A friend of mine way back when we first got OFP, heard of some clan that was cheating. The members of the opposing clan operated things such as tanks that handled like sportscars, really low reload times for the cannons, no recoil, etc.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2002, 02:02:04 by Baphomet »