Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: REtexturing BIS buildings to snow  (Read 1116 times)

Offline IGWedge

• Members
  • Internal Coordinator @ www.ic-arma.com
    • International Conflict Armed Assault
REtexturing BIS buildings to snow
« on: 10 Mar 2005, 15:32:30 »
Hi

I have remade a few textures for standard BIS buildings to fit in with a couple of winter islands im making.

I have been through all the tuts available but for some reason i still cant get the texture to show in game.Just get a white model.
Im not sure if its a config problem or a texture problem.

Id like to clarify a couple of things if poss.

What TGA format should it be saved as? 24 / 32 uncompressed?.

Also not too sure what to do with the Mipmap function?

What are Alpha channels and how do they affect things?

Any answers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
Re:REtexturing BIS buildings to snow
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2005, 22:03:20 »
1. use tga 32bit uncompressed
2. use paatool v1.1 instead of texview, it mipmaps automatically and you get better results with it. (mipmapping means that your texture is scaled down when view from aside or afar)
3. the alpha channel manages transparency. unfortunately not all graphic programmes can handle it.

4. white objects mean that they HAVE textures but the path is wrong. so this is surely the clue to your problem. did you follow brsseb's tut? if so i assume you get your textures from your c: drive, not from the virtual z: drive. in fact they are the same, but relative to o2 they are different.
that's quite a common mistake ;)
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Offline IGWedge

• Members
  • Internal Coordinator @ www.ic-arma.com
    • International Conflict Armed Assault
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2005, 12:32:27 »
well i basicly used the textureswap software to change the textures within the P3d and the pbo'd back up just as the tut says.

The tutorial i used is by EJ WILL.

So im not sure about the path as i thought that was all included in the P3d/PBO. This is why i thought maybe my textures were in the wrong format.

Edit: the link on the BIS forums for PAA tool 1.1 is dead does anyone have a mirror??
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2005, 12:37:58 by IG-Wedge »

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2005, 14:07:47 »
i have no clue about this programme cos i never used it, so i can't give you any info related to possible prob with it.
apart from that your problem might be: your texture path is too long. i don't know the exact max length (changed when res came out). the maximum i've used so far is 28 characters or so. (path- NOT file length!). so i recommend not to exceed 30 charakters.
why don't you familiarize with o2? gives you much more control over your work than a simple swap-tool

ofp.info: http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=6237
but i'm not sure which version it is. if you have transparent textures i reqommend v1.1 because of the 'no alpha filtering'-feature.
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD