Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: String Table  (Read 689 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
String Table
« on: 16 Jan 2005, 11:01:04 »
Apart from ensuring sub-titles to sound can be displayed in multiple languages, what is the point of using a string table?  

I am debugging my scenes using titletext and no sound.  What is the problem with just adding the playsound/say instructions and leaving the titletext as they are?

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re:String Table
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2005, 11:43:08 »
I'm lazy, so I do the same. I use titleText rather than make the apropriate stringtable. But there is one minor problem with this technique. LetÂ's say you have a script that includes the line

speaker say "myOwnVoiceIsBeautiful"

titleText ["Whatever the subtitles should be", etc]

That sounds fine as long as speaker is alive. If speaker is dead, no sound will be heard, wich is also fine (I don't like the speaking dead ;D )

But the titleText will still be displayed in this example. I think that if you make a stringtable, it's linked to the actual sound file. Hence: No sound - No subtitles.

I had this problem when I was working with my campaign Finlndsky Vokzal. It's quite easy to include the condition alive speaker to the script. But with stringtables you don't have to do this, as far as I understand. Am I right or wrong gentlemen? I' not completely sure.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2005, 02:33:55 »
Thank you.  That makes perfect sense

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2005, 03:15:37 »
I also find that I can use my stringtable like a script...

So if I want to make a dialogue revision, I don't need to wade through my 200Kb script file looking for a single titletext call ::)

It's all contained centrally in the stringtable.

They are also fairly important for text resources... you can't use them without one ;)

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2005, 10:50:45 »
Sui, that's very untrue. I have NEVER used a stringtable in my life, but I had used text resources. You simply put the text you want inside speech marks rather than writing the string name.. you can use it for say commands aswell, I don'tsee any point in them other than multi-lingual support.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2005, 11:59:04 »
Sui:

I am not sure I understand:
They are also fairly important for text resources... you can't use them without one

I see the point about having all the text in one place though, and also the posibility that a speaker might already be dead.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2005, 12:04:34 by THobson »

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2005, 12:06:23 »
Sui, that's very untrue. I have NEVER used a stringtable in my life, but I had used text resources. You simply put the text you want inside speech marks rather than writing the string name..

Oh yeah... I guess you could do that, huh? ;D

Shows some of us are stuck in our ways, and slaves to the mighty stringtable ;)
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2005, 12:07:28 by Sui »

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2005, 19:38:51 »
I love provin mods wrong  ;D So. It's official. The only use for string tables is translation. Maybe  ::)

Dubieman

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2005, 22:02:27 »
Be wary though, if you put anything in your .ext about when you call it, then titletext doesn't work, only cuttext. I found that out on one of my missions. Thanks to Sui for that. ;)

love provin mods wrong   So. It's official. The only use for string tables is translation. Maybe  

Embarrassing mods is a recipe for disaster. :noo: :D

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2005, 09:41:40 »
Right, that's it! You're all banned....

meh, just kidding. I'm too lazy to ban that many people at once ;D

Dubieman

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2005, 20:58:07 »
I was never here....... :tomato:

*Gets whooshed from the thread*

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2005, 16:34:22 »
String table also makes multilingual support easier.
urp!