Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Multiple houses in one p3d  (Read 983 times)

JOLI

Multiple houses in one p3d
« on: 05 Dec 2004, 23:40:19 »
Hi.

I am building a MOUT-island over a swedish town. I have at my disposal source data consisting of very simple houses in blocks. One model consists of several houses that creates a block of the town. Instead of extracting each house from the data I am trying to save time and build each block as one p3d file.

Note that the houses are perfectly "solid". There are no holes or leaks. They are not modelled to be entered and therefore doesn't have any windows or doors. They merely look like monopoly-houses.

My workflow is simple:

1. I import a block into oxygen.
2. I use "find components". Oxygen has no problem defining each house as a component.
3. I close each component/house.
4. I texture and shade each component/house.
5. After that I duplicate the lod and define it as a geometry lod.
6. I use the "/structure/convex hull from component" tool. It seems to create perfcetly nice convex hulls for each component/house.
7. Now I define the following parameters for the houses.

- name: Dammage value: house
- name: Class value: house
- name: Map value:house

8. Finally I use the geolod (duplicated) for the view and fire geometry lods.
9. After that I binarize my model and place it in my warp (using warptool)

The problem is that when I test a model of a block with several houses, I get very very strange results regarding collision detection. Only some of the walls works, you are able to walk through most of the walls.

My question is if I am trying a dead end. Is the OFP engine capable of having several separate houses in one p3d file and still work out how to do collision detection? Is there any kind of documentation that describes how the engine handles convex/nonconvex-hulls and other restrictions in the p3d files that are relevant regarding collision detection?

Interestingly enough, shadows also only works for some of the walls.

/Joli

Lean Bear

Re:Multiple houses in one p3d
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2004, 18:48:19 »
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. If you take a big building like the Embassy or Prison addons, you can see that while they are big, OFP has no trouble working out where the walls are. And if you were to take them apart they would probabaly work fine.

It could be that the "blocks" are too big, try making them smaller (not in scale size, but less components in a block).

Also, geo lod's should be bigger than the walls themselves.

Its probably not this, but: Binarize isn't the most reliable of utilities, I have found. But even that shouldn't mess up the walls having no depth etc.

edit

One thing you might want to remember is that, in O2, where the two red lines cross is the centre of any .p3d. There's some relevance there, I know it :hmm:

« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2004, 18:51:01 by Lean Bear »