Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Changing the driver view to OtocHlaven  (Read 2211 times)

Rocko Bonaparte

Changing the driver view to OtocHlaven
« on: 25 Sep 2004, 06:43:47 »
I have to admit I'm new to Oxygen in general.  I've been playing with config.cpp for a little bit and have become comfortable with it.  My current project is a single player tank.  The player takes the driver's position of the M1 abrams, and I have added some tweaks to make it slightly different than the single-player tank that is in the BIS headers.  

The problem I am having is fixing the driver's view to the gun barrel.  It is still fixed to the normal driver view: turns left or right but not up or down, Fixed to the vehicles orientation, begins to rotate as the mouse cursor moves to left or right side of the view.  I would prefer to have the view fixed to the turret, so the center of the screen is where a shell would be fired, and have the view turn as the barrel turns to catch the cursor.

I have seen some single player mods -- mostly mechas -- that do this.  I know it's possible, but I have been told by Gigan (one of the mecha modders) that I need to do my changes in Oxygen.  Specifically, I need to fix the driver's view to OtocHlaven in the memory LOD.  After scratching my head awhile, I managed to extract the Abrams model, find the memory LOD, find "driverview," and try to redefine it to the vertices that make up OtocHlaven.  This caused OFP to crash when I tried to load the mission containing my model.

I have a two main questions:
1. How do I do this?  ???
2. Can I redefine the memory LOD's without having to save a separate model?  I would like to do this with a T80 as well, and I feel it's a waste of space to save a separate, but nearly identical copy of the tanks for my own addon.

Rocko Bonaparte

Re:Changing the driver view to OtocHlaven
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2004, 07:05:35 »
Actually I mucked with it a little more and found out my model path was incorrect.  It still doesn't work, but at least there isn't any crashing.

I am testing setting driverview in the memory LOD to gunnerview.  When I tried the optics, I did get the gunner view, but the turret just wouldn't move at all.  Also, turning the tank seemed like a silhouette of the tank was tried to move in the turning direction, but the whole body wouldn't rotate.  When I fired the cannon, it would send me rocketing around.  At one point I was launched into the sky for infinity.

It was funny the first time...

Is there some way to save models that I am missing?  I extracted the abrams model using the odol explorer, and saved the model with modified views from Oxygen.  Maybe I screwed something else up  :-\ in Oxygen.  

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2004, 23:21:47 »
i was doing this to a m1a1 model and i made it work so the driver view hooked with the turret movement i will tell you how to do it in these steps...

open the m1a1 model in oxygen

open the memory lod

delete the selection driverview

right click and rename the gunnerview selection to driverview

then just save the model

open up the config and go to the cfgvehicles part and add this to the code
Code: [Select]
driverOpticsModel="optika_tank_gunner";and that should do it

Rocko Bonaparte

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2004, 04:18:05 »
i was doing this to a m1a1 model and i made it work so the driver view hooked with the turret movement i will tell you how to do it in these steps...

open the m1a1 model in oxygen

open the memory lod

delete the selection driverview

right click and rename the gunnerview selection to driverview

then just save the model

open up the config and go to the cfgvehicles part and add this to the code
Code: [Select]
driverOpticsModel="optika_tank_gunner";and that should do it
This is sound advice.  I tried it and had model problems.  I think the way I'm ripping the M1 model is a problem.  I load it into ODOL_Explorer and export the p3d file.  Then I edit that in Oxygen.  It seems that the extracted model doesn't play so well with the engine.  When I turn the vehicle, part of it stays in place while a silhouette of it twists and turns the right way.  Also, when I fire the gun, it'll send me flying around the island.  Very strange.

I'm trying to figure out this more fundamental problem first, since it's getting in the way of doing anything else productive.  Thanks.

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2004, 14:39:16 »
you probably have to rename some selections and give it some weight in the geometry lod, thats what odol explorer does to you :P

Rocko Bonaparte

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2004, 19:36:59 »
I downloaded the BIS models and managed to get it to work with them.  However, their textures don't seem to load so I'm still kind of stuck.  At least I got the viewpoint stuff working.  I think I'm going to issue a request for somebody's Abrams and T80 models so I can do this.  Thanks a bunch.

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2004, 21:26:52 »
i can upload the abrams and t80 models i used for the single driver tanks

Rocko Bonaparte

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:24:19 »
i can upload the abrams and t80 models i used for the single driver tanks
I'm down for that.  You can AOL IM me at "Rocko Bonaparte" or email me at adam.preble [at] gmail.com and set something up.

The last advice I had was getting in contact with Sigma, and I found out he doesn't have MLOD versions of his tank models to give out.  Damn.

M_S_Holder

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2004, 15:36:26 »
The lastest ODOL explorer works just fine.  I have turned EVERY SINGLE BIS tank into a single player version w/ the driverview changed to the gunner's view.

I've even got the M2A2, BMP2, and single player Vulcan using ODOL explorer.

I've noticed that once you use ODOL explorer to turn a model to MLOD, you must first load it into oxygen and then re-save it, otherwise the game will crash.

Rocko Bonaparte

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2004, 19:02:10 »
Just to make sure I'm up to snuff, what is the latest version?

M_S_Holder

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2004, 20:27:32 »
The one I use says it is version 2, but I don't know if that's just the old folder name or what.  It is 2.44, I believe.

I do know that the last ODOL Explorer I used had some strange side effects--I would have to go into Oxygen and tweak the models; the older version of ODOL Explorer just plain sucked.

I haven't had any problems (so far) with this new one.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2004, 20:34:57 by M_S_Holder »