Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Runways and configs  (Read 1995 times)

Unnamed

Runways and configs
« on: 18 Sep 2004, 21:30:56 »
Hi,

I'm trying to change the position of a runway on an island, in this case Everon. I don't want to create a new wrp or move the textures, just inherit from the original Eden.wrp and override the taxiway coordinates.

If you place an AI Aircraft any where on the island, not flying. It immediately tries to taxi to the runway. It's this initial target point I want to move. Simple enough I thought, just create a new config:

Code: [Select]
class CfgWorlds
{
class DefaultWorld {};
class ATC_Eden : DefaultWorld
   {
   access = 3;
   plateFormat="ER$  ## - ##";
   plateLetters="ABCDEFHIKLMOPRSTVXYZ";      
   worldName="Eden.wrp";
   description = "ATC Everon";
   icon=_eden.paa;
   startTime = 8:30;
   startDate = 30/8/84;
   startWeather = 0.3;
   startFog = 0.0;
   forecastWeather = 0.3;
   forecastFog = 0.0;
   seagullPos[] = {0,0,0};

ilsPosition[] ={0,0,0};
   ilsDirection[] ={0,0,0};
   ilsTaxiIn[]={0,0,0};
   ilsTaxiOff[]={0,0,0};

centerPosition[] = {0,0,0};

class Sounds
      {
         Â Â Â Â Â Â sounds[]={};
      };

class Animation
      {
      vehicles[]={};
      };

class Names
      {
         Â Â Â Â Â Â  class AnyName
         {  
                      name="Any Name";
                      position[]={0,0,50};
         Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  };
            };
   };

};

class CfgWorldList
   {
   class ATC_Eden{};
   };

Now I expected to run this through the mission editor and watch the plane taxi off towards point [0,0,0]. But it had no effect what so ever. The map shows up in the editor and the name defined in "class Name" is displayed on the map.  But I cant help thinking I've messed something up and OFP is just ignoring the changes I made.

Do any of the following have any effect on aircraft?

ilsPosition[] ={0,0,0};
ilsDirection[] ={0,0,0};
ilsTaxiIn[]={0,0,0};
ilsTaxiOff[]={0,0,0};

centerPosition[] = {0,0,0};

Or is it just the wrp file that dictates runway and taxiway positions?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Edit:

I have also tried:

ilsTaxiIn[]={};
ilsTaxiOff[]={};
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2004, 21:32:40 by Unnamed »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Runways and configs
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2004, 04:32:22 »
Not every wrp file has a runway configured in the config.cpp, but, the ai will always try to land somewhere when you tell them to disembark.

Usually it is somewhere in the water.  But it must be a default location preloaded into the game.

Try removing the runway configuration details from the config and see if that makes any difference, my guess is it won't.

I might have a look and see what I can come up with.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Unnamed

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2004, 14:22:47 »
Any help would be much appreciated.

I cant help thinking there is something I need to change using WrpEdit, I just cant figure out what :)

Cheers

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2004, 14:40:48 »
Runways and taxiways are not configured in the .wrp file.  It is all done in the config.cpp.

The only thing on .wrp files that have anything to do with runways and taxiways are the textures that are placed to delineate them.

As I said I will try and play about with this.
I have many islands in my addons folder, a lot of them I have made.

Bare islands with absolutely nothing on them except a texture.  I will see where the AI decide the runway is, even though there isn't one.

Will keep you posted.

Planck

Unnamed

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2004, 15:56:36 »
If I remove the entires from the config, I think it will just use the settings from DefualtWorld, See below. The settings I used in my config are the same as the desert island.

On the desert island the AI tries to land close to point [0,0,0], bottom left corner. On a featurless island I made as a firingrange, that inherits from DefualtWorld. The AI tries to land somewhere around the middle of the Northern map edge.

It's all very confusing.

Thanks again.

Edit:

I managed to change the ILS position on my firingrange, but that has no runway textures on it.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2004, 16:24:07 by Unnamed »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2004, 17:34:04 »
Ok

I was experimenting with this and here is what I found:

If you disable the ils stuff completely ( just comment it out), the game complains about the fact but lets you carry on.
Autopilot takes you to {0,0,0} and you end up circling that position forever.
If I start Ai on the ground he will immediately head for that position, in my case he managed to take off on the way there, when he got there he just carried on trucking.

Re-enabling the ilsPosition and making it empty  {}, caused the game to CTD.  Not a fluke, I tried it twice.

Re-enabling the ilsPosition with {0,0,0} takes you once again to that position with the same results. The game will also complain about ilsDirection not being set, but will allow you to continue.

Using an arbitrary value over reasonably flatish ground, I chose {2000,2000,0} as this was over land on the map I was using, will cause the Ai to fly to that postion and attempt to land.
There is no ilsDirection set yet so he just circles the area, touching down now and then, but, always taking off again to carry on circling.

Re-enabling ilsDirection with a value of {0,0.080000,1}, which is landing from the north facing south, causes the autopilot to head to the position from the set direction and attempt to land.
In my case it never landed, probably because the land wasn't flat enough, but it kept going round anyway.
Ai pilots produce similar results.

In conclusion:

ilsPosition is the position the AI aim for when landing and also the position they attempt to 'goto' when taking off.

ilsDirection is the direction they approach ilsPosition from when landing and the direction they face when taking off from ilsPosition.

EDIT: My island had no runway textures either, I am still experimenting to see if they are a 'must have' or not.

Planck
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2004, 17:37:08 by Planck »

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2004, 23:12:18 »
CfgSurfaces (extendable) sets an extremely low roughness (offroad bounce) for textures prefixed with rw*. If you wish to rename, you must add a relevant class to CfgSurfaces. That's the only texture factor.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2004, 01:54:55 »
Well..............it seems that runway textures aren't needed really.

I managed to get the AI to land without runway textures.
I just changed the ilsDirection to {0,0.08000,-1}, which is landing south - north, instead of my previous attempt using north - south.

Seems north - south doesn't work always, but south - north does.

Anyway, he landed with no mishaps and without a runway texture in sight.

The land wasn't particularly flat either.

Planck

Unnamed

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2004, 04:49:41 »
I managed to get the AI to land without runway textures.
I just changed the ilsDirection to {0,0.08000,-1}, which is landing south - north, instead of my previous attempt using north - south.

If you change your world name to Eden.wrp, I bet it starts landing back on the runway.

I just tried a search and replace on eden.wrp, to swap the runway texture rwn.paa to another texture. Then saved the modified wrp to my custom config. It took ages to load the island, when it finally did, it just CTD.

Dont know if that was me, wrpedit or the fact I removed an important texture.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2004, 04:49:51 by Unnamed »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2004, 20:50:21 »
If you change your wrp name to Eden.wrp the game will probably use the config details from the original island instead of yours.

It might even cause a conflict of some type.

I have a copy of Abel.wrp in my addons folder.  It is exactly the same as the original Abel.wrp, except I have added a bridge over to the training island from the mainland and it is called Similia.wrp.

The runway is still in the place it was before and the autopilot tries to land in the water because the config for this island does not define the runway as being in the same place as in the Abel.wrp.

The ilsPosition is defined as {0,0,0}, this is because I was only using this island as a testbed for the curved bridges I released.

Planck

Unnamed

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2004, 21:11:39 »
If you change your wrp name to Eden.wrp the game will probably use the config details from the original island instead of yours.

I ment the config entry WorldName, the one that points to the wrp file to use with the config.

I have a copy of Abel.wrp in my addons folder.  It is exactly the same as the original Abel.wrp, except I have added a bridge over to the training island from the mainland and it is called Similia.wrp.

What island editor did you use to make the modifications? Although I did want to override the original Islands rather than distribute modified ones, but now I'd be happy just figuring out whats going on.

Cheers

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2004, 21:16:39 »
I'm not too sure that you can overide the configs for the original islands without changing the games config.bin.

I used WrpEdit for the modifications I made to the copy of Abel.wrp.

Planck

Unnamed

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:59:52 »
I think there is a problem with my version of WRPEdit, I tried loading Abel and saving it to a new filename and config without making any changes. OFP tries to load it into the editor, but it takes about half an hour, then just crashes before it's displayed.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2004, 20:16:05 »
Try downloading it again from somewhere.

It might be damaged, but then again it might not be.

It may be the config you are using though.

Planck
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2004, 20:17:36 by Planck »

Unnamed

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2004, 15:20:05 »
Fixed my problem with the wrptool, I did not installed it properly  ::)

But looks like you have to have the same *.wrp filename as you do for your Class name, CfgPatches worlds and CfgWorldList name. So I cant inherit from the defualt worlds, looks like I would have to include new versions of any Island with different wrp names. If I want to change the ILSPosition  :(

Cheers