Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Island Editors Website  (Read 2234 times)

simoneldridge

Island Editors Website
« on: 08 Apr 2004, 13:54:13 »
Hi

Myself and a few others think it wolud be a good idea to start a website purely for island editors.

The idea is to have a site full of tutorials and instruction to the creation of islands for OFP and also covering texturing for islands and objects such as foliage & grass etc

Also will be a spot for people to post created islands for general release or for beta testing and whatnot ;D

If you have any ideas or can help us get it off the ground then please post any ideas here. ;D

Thanx
Wedge :cheers:
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2004, 13:56:36 by W£DGE »

Kaliyuga

Re:Island Editors Website
« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2004, 21:12:25 »
 I like the idea.....  

I could give a tutorial or two on some of the finer points of island making..

there's one here on this board that I did a while back actually on how to get DEM data into WrpEdit to make one sweet lookin island.

I can also spare somewhere in the neighborhood of 20MB storage space for said website, and possibly more in the future if it becomes needed.

This would be alot better than using a free host, just wouldn't be able to host  islands at all really.

You could get a free forum like ours :

http://waterman.conforums.com/index.cgi
(shameless self promotion  ;D)

and link to it from the site as well for posting about islands/beta testing. etc....

just my thoughts

:cheers:

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2004, 21:38:45 »
One thing that would seriously help the website is having a completly begginers guide.. For people who have just downloaded WRPEdit or something, and have no idea how to use it
And put a place where you can upload .wrp files, so new people can download them, look at them, modify em, and learn :)

- Ben

Kaliyuga

« Reply #3 on: 09 Apr 2004, 00:05:01 »
 There's a great tutorial by Jahve that I have on my PC that got me started with island editing that would do the trick nicely I think..

and I could definately get together a few example .wrp files for people to check out....

I could even make a few using DEM data so they would look nice and pretty :P

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2004, 21:16:57 »
As has been mentioned, a lot of work has already been done. CIA's references are invaluable, for example, and the pic's in the back of the UberTut also help to give a sense of scale. If somebody could start scrounging a list of resources akin to johnnylump's (aging) addon's page, it would be a really good start.

simoneldridge

« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2004, 17:42:42 »
Just a quick post to remind any one that if they have any good input or helpful suggestions about things needed for this website then please let me know.

many thanks ;D

wedge
www.flashpoint-isle.com

Marksman

« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2004, 18:14:41 »
Hiya W£DGE,

Seen your work on the website looks promising  ;)

I've not been active in OFP for a while now, but still try to keep up with the latest news.

I was thinking of re-writing my old config.cpp file writer in Java, probably as an applet so it could be run on a webpage, so the user doesn't need to d/l any programs etc.

The old perl version had the following features:
  • Wrp filename
  • Addon name
  • Island description seen in OFP
  • Number plates using PlateLetters and PlateFormat
  • Start Date and Time (although these appear in the config.cpp, they seem to have no effect in the editor)
  • Start Weather and Fog (also seem to have no effect in the editor)
  • Forecast Weather and Fog (also seem to have no effect in the editor)
  • Airstrips and Taxiways, using ils Position, ilsDirection, ilsTaxiIn, ilsTaxiOut
  • Custom Island Icons
  • Place Names
  • Centre Position
  • Seagull Position
  • Required version of OFP needed to use island
This should make things easier for newbies to get working config or to quickly get an island ingame

I won't be able to write it til July (v. busy  :( ), but if you want it after that...

Marksman
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2004, 18:34:53 by Marksman »

simoneldridge

« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2004, 00:09:46 »
Hi Marksman

I just had a look at your website.....very cool ::)
i like the sound of your idea.Im afraid im not much good at config's but i will gladly help with anything i can
i will be going away till 1st week in july so we can hook up then.

Does your config writer work with WRPtool as that is the program i use.

;D

wedge
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2004, 00:10:06 by W£DGE »

Marksman

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2004, 15:48:07 »
Hi W3DGE,

Created a very alpha java applet for creating config.cpp's at:

Note: In this first version .wrp filenames must be entered without the .wrp extension

OFP Configs

This is only a first go, as i only had a few spare hours, and the output is completely untested. The final version will be much improved

Use at your own risk!

If anyone tests it, and has problems / success please let me know

Post problems or suggestions here

Cheers,

Marksman
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2004, 16:11:46 by Marksman »