Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Addon Making  (Read 1601 times)

MSG Bushmaster

Addon Making
« on: 22 May 2004, 00:19:28 »
I have questions for the community about getting a newly created addon to work with OFP. I appologize if my questions have been answered in earlier topics. I am new to the forums and haven't really had a chance to look at all of them.

Question #1: I have recently created 2 P3d models in oxygen. Both are simple models of campaign hats that Drill Sergeants in the US Military wear. I know the basics of how to get the models into the game, but I have no idea how to make them work the way they were designed....ie. worn on the heads of soldiers.

Question #2: As I am new to addon making, I also know nothing about scaling a model to fit....This is why I sound like such a noob,,,,because when it comes to addon making,I am a noob. I have un PBOd several models to see how the head gear is incorporated,but have still not been able to figure it out....

Can anyone help me?

Dubieman

Re:Addon Making
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2004, 01:08:31 »
I'd try the add on editing board not here. the moderators will move this anyways.... :)

MSG Bushmaster

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2004, 00:08:13 »
Thank you for the e-mail suinn. I appologize for posting this thread in the wrong board.

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2004, 10:18:38 »
you have to actually have it on the head of the soldier model. The demo models can be downloaded from the BIS site i think........

www.flashpoint1985.com

But dont quote me on that.....

Or you can use another soldier model to put it on.

Just....move it into place and size it till it looks good. You will probably need to define it though, and im crap at defines...... :)

teaCup

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2004, 11:30:27 »
To get the right scale and position for the hat i suggest you take a soldier model (preferably something new, not the old demo ones. You can use the soldiers released by BAS for instance http://www.ballistic-studios.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=13).
You can import the highest resolution LOD into your favorite modelling package, and you can fit the hat nicely on his melon. O2 exports .3ds files and there are also tools that export to .obj from .p3d.

Then you would import the hat into O2 (you probably want to delete the helmets or any other things the soldiers are already wearing). And to have it move with the head, you need to add your hat to the "hlava" named selection. Select both the head and the hat, right click on "hlava" in the named selections window, and choose "Redefine" from the popup menu.

MSG Bushmaster

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2004, 03:44:16 »
Thanx for the responces guys. I will try your suggestions, but as I said, I am still new at this so I will probably have a bazillion more questions :)

MSG Bushmaster

« Reply #6 on: 07 Jun 2004, 22:10:25 »
Well,,I said I would probably have a bazillion more questions,,,,and here is the first set. As I posted earlier in this topic, I have created 2 Drill Instructor campaign hats. 1 for the Marine Corps, and 1 for the Army. I followed the advice above, and using the B.A.S. model pack, I was able to scale and fit the hat to the soldiers' mellon. I then used my own set of textures on the model itself and got the model half way decent looking in Bulldozer. This is where my problem lies. I wrote my config.cpp,,,,and PBOd the model and much to my amazement, actually got it to work ingame...But with some very noticible problems. 1st, Ingame,,,the model was entirely white,,none of the textures showed up at all. 2nd, the model ingame was nothing more than a jumble of broken pieces, ie, legs that sprouted from the ground, no noticible torso or arms,,,a head that didn't seem to be attached to anything, an m16 that was suspended in the air above its' head, etc. Therefore,my qusetions are these.

#1-What did I screw up in Oxygen that turned my model into a soup sandwich ingame..I am sure I left out some modeling and texturing steps in the process, but I have no idea what they are because I have never seen a tut. on modeling a soldier..Which brings me to my next questio...

#2-Are there any comprehensive tutorials out there that I can get my hands on that walk you through the modeling process for making a soldier,,,,and if so,,,where can I find it. I currently have a great tutorial that walks you through the modeling process for objects, weapons, vehicles, buildings, aircraft, and animations, but it has no section for modeling soldiers. Any Ideas?

teaCup

« Reply #7 on: 08 Jun 2004, 17:45:15 »
White means no textures were found. (1)You failed to pack the textures into the .pbo, (2)they are the wrong format or (3)the paths to them textures are messed up in your .p3d.  Most likely it's the texture paths. In a .p3d, each polygonal face has a certain texture associated to it (via a texture path). Paths look like this: "\nameofpbo\[additional subdir(s)]\texturename". To specify a texture path (minus the texture name) you need to set the "texture directory" (or something like that) in O2 -> Options. The texture names will be appended to this resulting the texture paths of your .p3d. The best way to check these paths (and sometimes even modify them) is to open the .p3d in a hex editor.

"jumble of broken pieces"..  hmm, you better post a screenshot. I can't imagine what it could be or what that looks like.

I've never seen such a tutorial.  But hey, if you get really good at it, you can write it.  :)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jun 2004, 18:55:20 »
I know what he means by "jumble of broken peices", its the named selections all being wrong. I wish i could help with that, but you need someone who knows what they are doing  :)