Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Question Regarding Chopper Pickup  (Read 742 times)

Joe_Nietzsche

Question Regarding Chopper Pickup
« on: 16 Apr 2004, 21:40:39 »
Hey Folks,

I am having problems getting a UH60-MG to land (integral AI, not added via moveIn - or AssignAs commands, if that makes a difference) to do a pick up.

The Blackhawk in question has a series of waypoints that pick up the player (single player mission) group, and drop them off at the mission zone. The chopper then leaves the area and is held at a waypoint till signaled via trigger switch. The next waypoint is a ‘load' sync'd with a ‘get-in' waypoint placed about 80 - 120 meters north of Regina on Everon, which is a fairly open area that AI has accepted as an LZ before.

I have tried setting the chopper's behavior to everything from careless to stealth with the same results. I have tried using the assign command and various other combinations to get the pilot to land for pick up, including the ‘helo land "get in" ‘command. The problem seems like it may stem from the fact that the platoon CO (player is not in command of squad) will not order the troops to mount the UH60. I have tried a number of things to get the AI CO to do this, but he refuses to cooperate (the bastard!).

I have gone over this problem using every conceivable scripting command option but I am utterly stumped. Any help or suggestions on what may be causing this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2004, 01:11:04 by Joe_Nietzsche »

Drwyd

Re:Question Regarding Chopper Pickup
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2004, 11:59:51 »
Sounds like you are doing everything right, all I can think of is that the helo has had its flyinheight changed, this sometimes causes them to have problems finding waypoints. Try setting it to 50 metres.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

Offline Davies1

• Members
  • Bugger this for a game of soldiers!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2004, 13:42:47 »
 >:( I have similar troubles, but is the chopper coming back to the new LZ?

A point i found was that radio triggers are usually manually controlled by the player, but not available if he is not CO of a group.
Beer is the fuel for the Heavy Metal Engine.

Joe_Nietzsche

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2004, 07:26:51 »
>:( I have similar troubles, but is the chopper coming back to the new LZ?

A point i found was that radio triggers are usually manually controlled by the player, but not available if he is not CO of a group.

No, unfortunately it just passes overhead, meanders in the area a bit, and then is shot down by MGs on T80s a short distance away. I think it may be a case of the chopper not liking the H-(invisible) location. I think that it's probably a bug, kinda like when targetting a destroyed vehicle sometimes the target indicator jumps all over the place.

It seems like its just another problem that requires massive amounts of ye olde trial and error. Thanks both for the suggestions though.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2004, 01:17:43 »
Hey Joe...

I've found that for a LOAD/GET-IN combination to work, the unit that's getting in must be at their GET-IN waypoint when the chopper get's near (within 500m) of it's load waypoint.

If the player's group isn't close to the LZ, the chopper will breeze right by.
One option would be to put a waypoint slightly before your LOAD waypont... that way the chopper wouldn't hit the LOAD one so early (as aerial waypoints can be triggered when the unit is as much as 500m away).

Joe_Nietzsche

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2004, 19:17:54 »
Hey Joe...

I've found that for a LOAD/GET-IN combination to work, the unit that's getting in must be at their GET-IN waypoint when the chopper get's near (within 500m) of it's load waypoint.

If the player's group isn't close to the LZ, the chopper will breeze right by.
One option would be to put a waypoint slightly before your LOAD waypont... that way the chopper wouldn't hit the LOAD one so early (as aerial waypoints can be triggered when the unit is as much as 500m away).

Yeah, I know about the waypoint dynamic. I've worked that one to death. Although, that being said, it seems likely that may yet provide the solution, if there is one. The whole thing is pretty maddening. Regardless though, thanks for the suggestion :)

Drwyd

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2004, 12:21:24 »
and then is shot down by MGs on T80s a short distance away

Sounds like the chopper is avoiding enemy, have you tried setting the chopper to "hold fire, disengage" or "never fire" ?

Joe_Nietzsche

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2004, 00:28:55 »
Sounds like the chopper is avoiding enemy, have you tried setting the chopper to "hold fire, disengage" or "never fire" ?

No sir, I haven't, and thats a damn good idea. Ill check that now!

Joe_Nietzsche

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:10:43 »
LOL, it worked,... I guess that friggin blackhawk was trying to engage t80s,... heh. Thanks Drwyd, very much appreciated.

FLBEE

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2004, 04:08:49 »
Sounds like you have everything under control, but i thought i would throw this your way...

I beat my brains against the wall on a couple situations like this, and i finally got it to work sort of,  only to find out later it was already done better in snYpir mp/sp support pack.

Most helo loading/unloading/rappelling/attacking situations are handled very well with that pack.

If you are scripting to finish a mission, i suggest learning to script the helo options of the support pack. It will save alot of time and be high quality ai behaviour.

If you are scripting for enjoyment, then forget i said anything.  ;D

ps- i think the sp/mp psupport pack is still available here at ofpec