Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Proximity Fuses  (Read 797 times)

Palamedes

Proximity Fuses
« on: 08 Sep 2003, 06:05:53 »
As some of you know, I am working on some serious SAM sites..

One thing that a lot of antiaircraft missiles have in them is a proximity fuse..  

Given that we have a target locked, how can I force the missile to explode at a given range from that target?

Basically the missile needs to track its distance from the target, and once that distance stops decreasing, it needs to explode.

Thoughts?

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
Re:Proximity Fuses
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2003, 06:36:42 »
Well, for the distance thing, its easy. :)
Use a loop to constantly compute distance using the following command until its below a certain value...

From the Editors Depot - Commands listing:

obj1 distance obj2

Operand types:
obj1: Object
obj2: Object
Type of returned value:
Number
Description:
Compute distance between two objects.

With regards to the detonation, someone should answer that one soon (I'm a little too rusty)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Hudson

« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2003, 08:33:07 »
With regards to the detonation, someone should answer that one soon (I'm a little too rusty)

One way is to createVehicle an invisible object with a large fire geometry infront of the missile, or at least thats how we made our proximity fused AMRAAMs detonate :thumbsup:

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2003, 16:25:55 »
Go to the DKM MOD forums (betatesting/Havoc bug report I think); I posted some code there to make a nice proximity fuse. Its pretty simple; all you need is a scripted "Fired" eventhandler. I tested it; it works with arbitrary targets and it *does* increase the effectiveness of the missile.

BUT... maybe there's a far better way, as Hudson suggests. Maybe some tweaking of the firing/collision geometry in O2 could do the trick as well ; I dunno.