Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Expert question ;) Firing order of missiles  (Read 737 times)

Rubble_Maker

Expert question ;) Firing order of missiles
« on: 07 Jul 2003, 23:32:31 »
Hi

think not many have noticed yet, but on some addons, the OFP engine fires the weapons in a different order than on others, and I want to know how I can influence that.

Ok, let me explain: On some choppers and planes, the firing order of missiles and rockets is simply LEFT, then RIGHT, then LEFT again, and so on. So the first missile leaves the left rail/wing, the second the right, the third leaves the left rail again...
It seems like OFP uses some sort of a global variable to coordinate the order in which the missiles leave the bay, and this variable seems to be toggled between 0 (left) and 1 (right) with each missile or rocket fired. The problem is that one can easily fool this mechanism. Just fire a missile (it leaves the left rail), then fire a rocket (will leave the right rail), then fire a missile again - it will leave the left rail again. When you do this for a couple of times, you end up with all missiles being fired on the left wing/rail only! This is bullshit, obviously; if the chopper has, say, 8 missiles, 4 on each side, I can fire all 8 from only the left wing!! OFP simply doesnt care about wings or rails; it just switches its left/right variable with each missile and/or rocket being fired.

But there're also addons where this is quite different (DKM's Havoc for example). On these addons, OFP seems to "remember" where it fired the last missile for each type of missile rocket. Thus, it only toggles the left/right positions if the same type of missile was fired, and not when ANY kind of missile was fired. So if I try the "trick" described above, I fire a missile first, and it leaves the left wing. Then I fire a rocket, and it leaves the left wing too (notice that now OFP seems to use seperate counters/variables for each weapon!), then I fire a missile again, and it leaves the right wing, like it should.

Ok, here's the 1 billion $$$ question: How can this be influenced?

gundam007

Re:Expert question ;) Firing order of missiles
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2003, 00:25:57 »
depends on the proxy numbering. if they have

1.2.3.4.5.6, they will shoot out from left to right.

but, 1.3.5.6.4.2.
will go

leftmost,rightmost,1 in left, 1 in right, midleft, midright.

(just using the number 6 as a nice even example)
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2003, 00:26:26 by gundam007 »

Rubble_Maker

Re:Expert question ;) Firing order of missiles
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2003, 11:44:58 »
thx gundam007, now I know how to set the firing order of ONE weapon. But my problem is a bit different: The firing order of the various weapons on my addon are NOT independant from each other, whereas they ARE independant on some other addons (like DKM's Havoc). Independant firing order means: Firing weapon #1 will not influence on which side a missile of type #2 will be fired. This is what I desperately need. Currently, when I fire a weapon of type #1 (say, a Hellfire), it determines on which side the next Hydra will leave the rail, since the firing order goes LEFT,RIGHT,LEFT,RIGHT...
Its sort of a global firing order (damn its hard to explain), and I need each weapon to have its own firing order.