Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Camo plugin or program for PSP or Photoshop  (Read 1951 times)

Kekkonen

Camo plugin or program for PSP or Photoshop
« on: 18 Nov 2002, 12:53:36 »
I have sometimes heard about existence of such plugin that lets you easily create different patterns of camo for texturing work... And heard it's freeware...

Any links would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

PFC_Mike

Re:Camo plugin or program for PSP or Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2002, 17:50:20 »
I don't know if this is the case, but from the screenshots it didn't appear to be a very useful plugin for OFP purposes. The camo seems to be in the right colors but the patten itself is off. Also, it would have to be weathered and creased. But it's a good idea.

BlinkDog

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2002, 16:31:03 »
You have to run it through other filters if you want a weathered look, usually modifying the contrast/hue can accomplish this. Also you can modify the size of the pattern with the camo plugin.

Wright

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2002, 10:23:31 »
Thanks for the link, this looks very useful.

mooncaine

« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2003, 21:09:50 »
You have to run it through other filters if you want a weathered look, usually modifying the contrast/hue can accomplish this. Also you can modify the size of the pattern with the camo plugin.

Although I haven't made imagery for OFP yet, I have done weathering for 3D models, and some of my favorite tricks, in Photoshop, are:

- Add a new layer, fill it with any color [just to have some pixels in it], then use the filter Add Noise. Add Gaussian, monochromatic noise, and blur it. Change this layer to one of the other modes, such as Multiply [my most often used], Screen, Overlay, or one of the Color Dodge/Burn modes. Do this to experiment, and when you find a layer mode that comes close, adjust this layer's Opacity so that the effect is as subtle as you like.

- Or, instead of leaving the noise as it is, try using Gaussian blur to soften it.

- Or, if you need streaks, use Motion Blur and choose the direction of streaking in that filter.

- If you need the camo pattern to have folds in it, like cloth on a soldier's pants leg or on a tent, you can use the Displace filter, but you'll have to do some painting first. Make a new, blank document in Photoshop, the SAME SIZE in pixels as your camo image, change it to Greyscale mode, and paint some dark, soft-edge streaks [very short], and some light ones adjacent to them. Or, better yet, find an image of cloth with folds in it, and use that. If you use a cloth image, you must convert it to grayscale and use Levels or Contrast to emphasize the contrast between lights and darks, and make it blurry with Gaussian blur. Or if the cloth image you choose can't be easily tweaked that way, make a layer above it, and paint your dark streaks over the folds' deep areas and light streaks over the areas that stick out towards you [the high areas]. Delete the cloth image layer and your top layer will be a good 'trace' image of the folds. Don't forget to blur it.

*I just tried my own tute, and realized I should add one step here to cloth folds: open both your greyscale and your camo file in PS, and SHIFT-DRAG the greyscale image from the LAYERS palette onto the camo image [this keeps the layers perfectly aligned]. Adjust this layer's Opacity to around 25% [or whatever looks best. Experiment!].

This new layer will add some light and shadow that perfectly matches the displacement you made with the Displace filter, above. If you don't do this, it will be hard to tell what Displace did, because the camo pattern is so random.

Save your dark/light streaks as a greyscale Photoshop file [.PSD], and then, in the camo image, use the Displace filter. When it asks for a file, use the one you just made. Adjust the values in Displace and experiment a few times. This works best when you have a photo of real cloth.

Hope this helps,

Mooncaine

PS: I can put my $ where my mouth is and post two Photoshop 7 files for download, if someone will host them. Total space required less than 1MB. Unless I can post them here? I'm new here and didn't notice if one could attach files to messages. Here's an overview [a composite image I just made]: http://www.geocities.com/james_poulakos/misc/camo_cloth_folds.html
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2003, 22:07:58 by mooncaine »

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2003, 16:07:58 »
PS: I can put my $ where my mouth is and post two Photoshop 7 files for download, if someone will host them. Total space required less than 1MB. Unless I can post them here? I'm new here and didn't notice if one could attach files to messages. Here's an overview [a composite image I just made]:
Not a photoshop expert, but a neat way of getting space hosted is to create a group at MSN. They will host up to 3Mb of data for nowt, then you can post the link here...

mooncaine

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2003, 03:03:59 »
Thanks, but I already have tons of space at geocities. Free sites like that limit monthly/daily bandwidth, though, so if hundreds of users hit the page [and with content this good, who wouldn't ;)?] ...

.... we'd just get a bunch of complaints on the forum about 'dead links' once the bandwidth limit.

Makabi

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2003, 09:29:45 »
where do I install the camo textures?(I have psp)

imemyself

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2003, 01:44:41 »
For me atleast its C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 7\Plugins