Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How to make a part of the texture transparent?  (Read 1326 times)

Laser

How to make a part of the texture transparent?
« on: 22 Jan 2003, 14:24:26 »
Here's the question. Suppose I need to make a texture for a blackop without a balaclava, so I figure out this part of a texture has to be transparent. How do I do that (esp. in Photoshop)? Thanks in advance.

Skaircro

Re:How to make a part of the texture transparent?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2003, 14:36:31 »
If you are making a new soldier you can just remove the need for that texture.
If you are just modifying the default textures, you will have to create the texture with an alpha channel.
There was a topic not that long ago about creating alpha textures. It will be able to help you if your not too sure how to make them.  

Laser

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2003, 14:43:55 »
Thanks, I've already figured out about an alpha channels... but how exactly do I use them? I'm just a starter at texturing business.

Skaircro

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2003, 15:18:54 »
This is the thread I was thinking of - http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=4810;start=0

Check it out, it will give you some useful info and links for making alpha textures.

Laser

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2003, 15:23:05 »
I have already found this thread, but many thanks anyway. I guess I have figured out my problem. Gotta try it. Too bad they won't let me make addons or even play OFP at my working place... ;)

Tamerch

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:41:55 »
forget the alpha channel its a piece of sh.t

photoshop deals very well with transparency ...
if u can see the two-color squares in the backgroud, then it will be transparent in your texture (dark grey in the tga and paa files)

mooncaine

« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2003, 08:11:29 »
But, in Photoshop, you gotta be sure you *save* your alpha channel with your TGA file, or it will be converted to PAC instead of PAA, and it won't keep the alpha.

When Photoshop asks you, as you save a TGA, whether you want 24-bit or 32-bit, choose 32-bit if you have an alpha. Choose 24-bit if you don't [that saves file space, I think].

Be sure that Photoshop, or whatever you use, is NOT set to compress TGA files. I saved some with RLE compression, and O2 would not open them. I assume, therefore, that they won't convert properly[?].