Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How many people have Resistance?  (Read 2067 times)

earl_laamanen

How many people have Resistance?
« on: 29 Dec 2002, 02:18:19 »
I'll be starting work soon on a new addon project, and I'd like to know how common Resistance is.  I would really like my addons to be compatible with v1.46, and although it's a bit more trouble to work with multiple small texture images, I'll do it if there's enough v1.46 users around.

Unless BIS wants to send me a check for $50, in which case I'll make sure it only works with Resistance.  8)

The_Milky_Bar_Kid

Re:How many people have Resistance?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2002, 00:28:15 »
Resistance, to my knowledge, is extremally popular at the moment and if you don't have it I advise you buy it, the story line beats the original games by miles.

As for your addon, why not make it compatible with both?

earl_laamanen

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2002, 23:03:20 »
To make a weapon addon compatible with v1.46, I have to keep my texture sizes at 256x256 max, but that's too small for my guns.  My solution is to use 4-8 files, each 256x256, but it's a real pain compared to 512x512 or 1024x1024.  

Just wanted to find out how many people don't have resistance... is it worth the trouble of making it v1.46 compatible?

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2002, 00:13:05 »
The majority of the 'Usual Suspects' who hang around here are Resistance owners.

The number of times I see "but will you make it for 1.46" is receding.

At the end of the day, yo tha man. If you want to make resistance only works of art, who are we to argue?

[edit] deleted double post
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2003, 13:37:34 by woofer »

teaCup

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2002, 12:49:15 »
Ver 1.46 can handle textures larger than 256x256. And i don't think they look worse than they would look in Resistance.. Please tell me if i'm wrong (i've heared people complaining about texture quality).
I read a recommendation somewhere (i think it was some DirectX SDK) that you should keep your textures within 256x256 because that increases the chances of that texture to remain in the CPUs(?) cache.. Or something like that..
I should look into it..

Personally i appreciate an addon more, if i see that it's creator used textures smaller than 256x256 and spent a week or two UV mapping.. :)

I do have resistance, but i mainly use 1.46. Resistance feels a bit too "heavy" for my pc..

earl_laamanen

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2002, 22:22:35 »
In my experience v1.46 resampled my 512x512 and 1024x1024 textures down to 256x256 and they looked horrible.

A single 256x256 texture image is definitely not enough to have a proper amount of detail on my weapons.  512x512 is perfect for the basic weapon, and maybe another extra image for attachments.  

The trouble with using small textures is that the noise and dithering from the RGB-5:6:5 conversion is very noticeable.  The larger you scale your textures, the dithering becomes less noticeable.

I pack my texture images as much as possible, and spend a lot of time UV mapping.  However, I'm not willing to decrease a 512x512 image to 256x256.  The loss of detail is shameful.  Instead, to get around the v1.46 image size restriction, I break that 512x512 into four 256x256 image.  It retains the same overall number of pixels.

For performance, this is actually worse.  It means you have to load 4 files instead of 1 file.  Each time you access a texture takes a certain amount of time - it may be miniscule, but if you extend it over a weapon addon with 20-30 weapon (120 texture images instead of 30) that can probably cause a noticeable waiting time while the addons load.

It's also more difficult to pack the unwrap shapes into smaller squares, you waste more border space.

I'm still undecided about how I will make the addon.  I want v1.46 compatiblity, but it's going to mean more work, more files, more trouble.  If I don't hear from enough v.146 users in this thread, I'll probably scrap the idea - so speak out if you care.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2002, 23:03:55 »
 1.4 what? ;D

I wouldn't bother with making more work for yourself, I think that just about everyone has Res ... or if not they should.. ;D
...  I know just about all the addons for our Mod will require 1.90 ;D

teaCup

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2003, 13:06:38 »
For performance, this is actually worse.  It means you have to load 4 files instead of 1 file.  Each time you access a texture takes a certain amount of time - it may be miniscule, but if you extend it over a weapon addon with 20-30 weapon (120 texture images instead of 30) that can probably cause a noticeable waiting time while the addons load.

It may take a little bit more to load the addon, but it would probably render faster. Besides, i don't think you have more than 2 or 3 of those large textures. I know i would break them up..

You mentioned you're making weapons. So i'm wondering: BIS textured the A10's (e.g.) main hull with 3 256x256 images. It doesn't look very detailed, but it still looks good. Why would anyone want to pack twice as much detail into a weapon which is much much smaller? But hey, it's your addon.. Good luck with it.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2003, 22:38:20 »
Why would anyone want to pack twice as much detail into a weapon which is much much smaller?

Well... how often are you standing right up next to an A-10 where you would see all the little details ?

and how often are you holding a weapon right in your hand where you can see every little detail ?  ;)

teaCup

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2003, 11:53:08 »
To be honest, i rarely get to hold a A10 in my hand. Maybe because it's a 100 times larger than a weapon..  :)

Gravedigga

« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2003, 13:02:55 »
slightly off-topic here......how do u convert 1.46 version addons to resistance quality ?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2003, 22:17:35 »
I think since OFP is quite old (Yes, it is old, I donÂ't care if you start crying and jump up and down) most of the fans left are probably what you call "fanatic-fans" and will buy/bhought resitance as soon as they get money.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan 2003, 22:35:08 »
yes dats quite right - almost every1 have resistance now ;)

@ armstrong

Are ya gonna start that club, LCD? Or do IÂ've to practice more on da language? Its not perfect yet, but Im working on it.

practice mor  :P - its Klub ;) also never use "Â'" (copied it from da quote cuz i cant find it on da keybord  ::)  ;D - but u r getin closer ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta