Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: house positions not working  (Read 2106 times)

sinchi runa

house positions not working
« on: 07 Feb 2008, 20:46:39 »
curious:

the script that places units in random building positions doesn't work an any maps other than the stock arma ones. nor will it work for any buildings placed by the editor...

Random Building Positions
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?al=alias6346

Random House Patrol
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?al=Tophe_script

when used on Sakakah Al Jawf for example, the ai starts out in the middle on nowhere.

any ideas why the scripts don't 'see' the buildings on these user maps?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: house positions not working
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2008, 22:50:17 »
I have no idea if that island is using arma buildings or user made buildings, but.......

If they are user made buildings they may not be configured in their config properly.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

sinchi runa

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2008, 23:08:34 »
they are the same buildings.
a good example is to use either script near a motel on the Sahrani map and they work great..
place a motel in the editor in the middle of the paraiso airfield. the ai move into the hanger.?
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2008, 23:19:48 by sinchi runa »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2008, 00:40:24 »
Well, not using any scripts here, but as you say the hotels on Sara with building positions are working fine.

Also placing the same hotel on the map in the mission editor works fine as well, tell your man to go to a building position.....and off he goes.

I can only conclude that the scripts you are using must be at fault in some way.

EDIT:  I suppose it depends on how you are adding the hotel in the Mission Editor, using some editorupgrade or just creating the building using its ArmA classname.
In the case of an editorupgrade the building might not have an appropriate classname.

Planck
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 00:44:43 by Planck »

sinchi runa

« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2008, 08:26:07 »
ok.. do us both a favor.. stop guessing.

i posted the scripts for others to check out.. its not so hard to open the editor and try what i stated.

i mean no offense.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2008, 08:48:35 »
There is nothing wrong with the scripts.

The scripts use nearestBuilding command and for example the hotel made available by six editor update (I think) is not recognised by that command so obviously it can't randomly put people in it because for the script it doesn't exist.
Testing the random building pos with the said building on Rahmadi even though I stood inside the hotel put me into the closest small shack.

Why this happens for the custom islands I don't know but Planck is most likely on the right tracks with it being some sort of config problem. :dunno:
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2008, 10:00:28 »
This has been discussed elsewhere as well: seems to me to simply be an ArmA bug of some kind. It doesn't seem to consider a lot of buildings "real". However, it might also be local to the editor upgrade you're using + Sakakah. Try it with another custom island and see if you get the same result. There's a good chance you will, so... :no:

Not much that can be done, I'm afraid!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2008, 13:21:47 »
On Sakakah Al Jawf you will notice only a few buildings (well I only found 2, the Minaret and the Watertower), BIS or custom, that allow you to command your AI to move into (ie Position #11 etc). All the others bring nothing up when pointing the crosshair at them. Hence even for the BIS buildings on the map it seems they're missing config definitions or other that limits proper positions.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb 2008, 18:16:57 »
ok.. do us both a favor.. stop guessing.

You maybe say you meant no offense but of course , you did.

1./
Lets be perfectly clear here, I saw no reason to use scripts to test this, so I didn't, I used standard facilities already available to everyone in the Mission Editor.

I tested on Sara, both an already present hotel and one I placed myself using createvehicle.
As I said it works perfectly for both, .............logical conclusion, using said scripts is the cause of the problem.

I also mentioned that IF you are using some form of editorupgrade, then chances are it has a non-compliant classname.
Classnames MUST comply with certain rules in order for certain model features to work properly when embedded in a .wrp file.
This being the case placing the building through the Mission Editor will also work, UNLESS, the building is the same in all respects except the classname.

2./
I hardly ever guess.

If you want people to try and help you with questions you may have, don't be so quick to try and demean any answer they may give.
If you don't fully understand an answer ask for clarification instead, it makes for a better atmosphere in the forums, just because you didn't understand the answer doesn't mean it was useless.

Planck
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 22:17:27 by Planck »

sinchi runa

« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb 2008, 21:03:46 »
i am sorry for being offensive then.

as for all the answers.... i was afraid of that.. its why i asked the experts here.

though it doesn't excuse my frustration of trying to get an ai in a building for 3 days... non manually.

i do not understand too much about how arma 'sees' a building.. is there a tutorial on this?

i would like to be informed if a solution is found to make the scripts work.. they save so much time.

again.. no offense intended.

Loki
http://thesonsoflibertyfoundation.bravehost.com/news.php