Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: addon testing  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
addon testing
« on: 28 Jul 2005, 15:12:10 »
Does anyone know if there's a way to NOT make a pbo file to test addons?

What I'm trying to do is cut out the middle step of making a pbo each time i make a tweak to config.cpp. I have tried putting the raw addon (no pbo) into all the 'logical' places, but the engine just ignores it <sob>

??
Just say no to bugz

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
Re:addon testing
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2005, 05:55:42 »
dont think there is... :-\

soooo just live with it :P

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2005, 14:13:13 »
Dude you're lazy.  ::)

Why, what is you are doing?
Oyman is right, I'm just nosey.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2005, 11:10:50 »
>what is it you're doing?

making substantial alterations to editor102

one such example which is already tedious enough is correcting mapsize= so that the objects represent better on the map editor. Since almost everything in editor102 is set to one, a tree and a forest take the same 'space'.

It will ultimately make positioning of objects all the easier, if I patiently correct each, of 500 of them, so being lazy doesn't quite fit the bill.

so in this example a tweak from mapsize=5 to = 5.5 is damn tedious enough and i needed a quicker check-and-see than what I have already. making a pbo is just another step in the chain that I could do without.

am also putting in foreign language csv, because telling a german to goto "forest, green, mapleleaf" doesn't quite immerse him in game play. Telling a frenchman to target a 'building' which turns out to be a whiskey bottle, is not quite de rigeur as well. There are many examples of this.

now, I guess you're sorry you asked.
Just say no to bugz

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2005, 19:42:36 »
No, glad. I hope you finish it and don't give up. That's something about the addon that has pissed me off since day 1. A bottle say, fills more space in the editor than a multistorey car park.

What would be great is a fence which you could make up in the editor without having to hit preview after adding each section.

You go for it man, it would be a very welcome addon.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2005, 04:19:50 »
 :)
thank u for your encouragement.

I have uploaded my current work in progress

here

It address the mapsizes quite well, and a host of other things. I'd naturally appreciate your comments and input if you'd care to give it a road test.

it is 100% compatible with existing gun/keg/barron addon102

this is turning off-topic, sorry about that. If anyone wants to assist me with french and german translations, well, you'll get your name in lights :o
Just say no to bugz

mccallum1992

« Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2005, 14:36:07 »
About Translation,
If you want some very basic Translation, go to
http://world.altavista.com/
- That is where I get my French/German for my Coursework, and i Get Straight A's!!! ;)

Shhhhhhh! ;D

UNN

« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:40:01 »
What I'm trying to do is cut out the middle step of making a pbo each time i make a tweak to config.cpp.
What program are you using to make the pbo? I use StuffPBO, you can leave it running, so it's one click to compile your addon straight into the destination directory.

Or check out the Liberation mod, they have a the BIN directory already un-pboed, and the *.p3d's in another directory.

Either way, you would still have to restart OFP each time.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:26:49 »
@UNN

> I use stuffpbo

I use Amalfi's makepbo which has the double benefit (unlike stuffpbo) of compressing selected files and, creating a resistance format . But either method works of course, and yes, i just leave running. It just seemed to me an unnecessary pothole in the road to have to do it each time. Wanted to cut out the middlemand and I could see ot technical / archectural reason for the need.

>liberation mod

thanks, I will.

Just say no to bugz

UNN

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2005, 21:50:45 »
I use Amalfi's makepbo which has the double benefit (unlike stuffpbo) of compressing selected files and, creating a resistance format . But either method works of course, and yes, i just leave running.

For testing and debugging the last thing I want to do is compress the pbo. An addon that compiles is three seconds with stuffpbo can take upto half an hour with makepbo compressing it. Although the options in makepbo to turn compression off, don't seem to work for me. Have you had the same problem?

Not sure what resistance format does, as you say. Addons made with both versions work fine. My one gripe with stuff pbo is the limited number of subdirectories.

You could also use OfpCEPBoU.exe, that allows you to compile multiple addons using a batch file:

Code: [Select]
D:\ Utils\CS\OfpCEPBoU.exe D:\ATC_AIA_ME109\Config.cpp,D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\@MISC\Addons\ATC_AIA_ME109.pbo,2
D:\ Utils\CS\OfpCEPBoU.exe D:\ATC_AIA_ME109DES\Config.cpp,D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\@MISC\Addons\ATC_AIA_ME109DES.pbo,2
D:\ Utils\CS\OfpCEPBoU.exe D:\ATC_AIA_ME109SNW\Config.cpp,D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\@MISC\Addons\ATC_AIA_ME109SNW.pbo,2
D:\ Utils\CS\OfpCEPBoU.exe D:\ATC_AIA_P51EM\Config.cpp,D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\@MISC\Addons\ATC_AIA_P51EM.pbo,2

But that requires two clicks of the mouse button to compile straight into your OFP addons folder :) so StuffPBO wins all the time, needing just one click to compile your addon ready for testing.

BTW Did you get a chance to try out the method used in Liberation?

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2005, 23:11:59 »
what about these 2:
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/?oblast=news&search=pbopatcher
they don't need a directory, you just make changes in the pbo itself as far as i understood it.  on the fly so to speak
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2005, 23:12:33 by remcen »
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2005, 10:15:16 »
@remcen

thank you

pbopatcher was what I was after

btw, winpbo is deadly dangerous if you delete files from the pbo list, it deletes, the underlying folder, the non-pbo version, if it's in the same directory.
Just say no to bugz

UNN

« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep 2005, 08:23:32 »
Apparently you can change addons (and MP missions) without having to recompile them at all. At least according to this tute:

Micro tut: the include variable value in the CPP

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #13 on: 03 Sep 2005, 04:31:13 »
wooo nice one UNN. That's not the way i'd have expected to work, but now,..... Wheeee!

thank you folks. topic solved
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2005, 19:39:34 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz