Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Realistic bullet holes  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
Re:Realistic bullet holes
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:53:33 »
I'll give t a try.   :-\

I do know that the standard "body" model has certain predefined areas that you can refer to, such as head, body, arms and kegs.  Of course, all of these are named in Czech and I'm not sure if you can refer to them in scripting (rather than in a config).

As I said - I'll see what i can do.

Cheers

roni

bdfy1

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2005, 04:47:17 »
Roni
Check "dammaged" Eventhandler - it can return what part of body is hitted ;) Tutorial is in the editor depot.

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2005, 04:55:20 »
Thanks for the reminder.  I knew that I could get the part hitted  ;) but I'm not sure if you can then use that to paste a decal.

On the plus side there is hope to just plain faking it.  If my event handler tells me that (say) the character's arm was hit then I could design a position offset (_xPos + 0.2, _yPos + 0.1, _zPos + 1.5 ) and a fast loop to keep the decal in place.

I've just finished a smoke script for a cessna and even though the loop goes as fast as it can (delay of 0.01 seconds between cycles) it still shows "puffs" rather than a continuous stream once the plane speed goes above 200 kph or so.

Of course for a player running no faster than 12 kph this should not be too much of a problem !    ;D

I'll try to rig up something tonight (next 6-8 hours)

cheers

roni

« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2005, 07:07:46 by Roni »

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2005, 00:48:41 »
is it working?

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #19 on: 09 May 2005, 14:08:59 »
Hello All

Okay, after four weeks of stuffing around with drop particles, workarounds and fudges I can conclusively say - this won't work !   :'(

It seems that even if a particle is tied to an object it doesn't stay with the object, it just takes on the objects position, velocity vector and facing at inception.  After that it's on its own.   :P

To make matters worse, the "drop" command returns nothing so you can't assign it and move it along with the person.  You could conceivably create particles VERY fast and have them live for a fraction of a second but if the unit moves too fast its "decal" tends to lag behind.  This is okay if you want the particle to look randomly uneven but bad otherwise.

On the plus side, if anyone is looking for a spurting blood wound then I'm with sure a few tweaks I could make what you're looking for !

Cheers

Rory