Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Air War map?Huh? Its possible...  (Read 1904 times)

HUSTLA23

Air War map?Huh? Its possible...
« on: 26 Aug 2004, 03:34:13 »
hey anyone here ever play the game ace combat 4? well, i figured, why not make a large map, with really crappy ground terrain (like a long, completely flat world, with nothing on it). You can put down shilkas and stuff, vut you cant really have a ground confrontation. ANyway, with such a big, featurless map flying would be much, much easier. Could make a campaign from a piliots persceptive much easier. ???

DBR_ONIX

Re:Air War map?Huh? Its possible...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2004, 18:37:38 »
Flying easier, but much more dull :(
And no way to hide from the Shilkas (Behind a hill etc)
And it would a pain to texture (Maybe a big static model placed in WRPEdit etc would be easier)
- Ben

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2004, 18:41:12 »
Or you could just use desert island......  ::)
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Kammak

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2004, 22:19:14 »
Overriding question in my mind is...why?  If I want to fly a modern combat aircraft, the last place I go is OFP...the one and *only* strength of OFP is modern infantry combat...everything else is a long stretch.  Aside from a really crappy flight model, there are no avionics, no targeting systems, and a horrible control system.  Why would anyone really want to put in the time for such a mediocre result?

If I want to fight modern armor, I load up Steel Beasts.  Modern aircraft - Jane's F/A-18.  Modern infantry combat - OFP.  (Vampires and undead - Morrowind III - :) @ General Barron!)

Note that I'm speaking solely from the *player's* perspective - I love having armor and aircraft in OFP for use by the AI, or to blow up!  But playing OFP from that vantage point is a poor experience, IMO.

Unnamed

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2004, 14:22:50 »
I'd like to see a super large map, 70% water with a few Island chains. Would be perfect for WWIIEC's Pacific Mod, plenty of open sea for lag free dog fights and somewhere to hide a Carrier or two.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2004, 22:23:57 »
That was random :P
Ask in the addon idea thread (Or island editing? Nah)
- Ben

Unnamed

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2004, 09:03:24 »
big, featurless map flying would be much, much easier. Could make a campaign from a piliots persceptive much easier

Hmm random  ::)

But I dont want to add anymore Spam to this thread, a sea map IMHO would be perfect for the type of game HUSTLA wants. So if you want to fly Modern jets, the same still applies for the Falklands mod.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2004, 13:48:53 »
A big empty map is easy enough to make (You could rename the MyMap.Intro to MyMap.Blah and it will say "no entry world Blah" or something, and there will be only sea)
Or a huge flat island that is covered in desert

- Ben

Commando

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2004, 20:59:22 »
ofp has great aircraft addons and fun flight feeling to it  :D
but i agree also that the islands are good because you can fly in cover behind hills n mountains from shilka / other AA fire  ;D
i once flew between the apartment buildings in petrovice with my chopper to avoid getting hit by a shilka  8)

HuNtA

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2004, 17:28:06 »
wat we need is said big empty map, but stuff like oil refineries and stuff like that
(people who have played fighter pilot {cheapest best air sim Ive ever bought} will know wat Im on about)

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2004, 13:35:29 »
Have you seen the 25x25 km island called "PMC Euro" made by Snakeman? Could be what you're looking for...

Links:

PMC OFP home page
PMC Forum thread

The island addon itself:
PMC Euro, April 20 '04 version (2.3 MiB)

There are also two featureless test islands called WRPdouble and WRPquad made by a-lone-wolf. The big one is 51.2x51.2 km in size: A-lone-wolf's Unofficial OFP page
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2004, 08:00:12 by Killswitch »